Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
arich24

New

Re: Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2011

Post by arich24 » Fri May 02, 2008 12:28 pm

Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2011
Can I assume that's the one I've already joined?! Never can tell these days, never can tell! Hey, does somebody want to go my American Presidency take home final for me? Thanks :)

Zarain

New

Post by Zarain » Fri May 02, 2008 1:35 pm

You must of joined the general PSU 2011 group. My group is the Penn State Law School 2011 group. Check it out and join. Invite others you know are attending.

melbel08

New

Post by melbel08 » Fri May 02, 2008 1:58 pm

the one with like 12 members? haha..

Zarain

New

Post by Zarain » Fri May 02, 2008 1:59 pm

actually I am the only member right now. =)

melbel08

New

Post by melbel08 » Fri May 02, 2008 2:02 pm

hahahah well there is a penn state dickinson school of law class of 2011 group. join it so you're not flyin' solo :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zarain

New

Post by Zarain » Fri May 02, 2008 7:22 pm

Thanks for the heads up melbel.

Lipper

New

Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2011 -NO CLERKSHIPS

Post by Lipper » Sun May 04, 2008 4:22 am

I turned down PSU - State College because of a number of reasons; however, the lack of Federal and State clerkships was the determiner. I spent a few days around the Business building and spoke to a plethora of law students who eagerly expressed anger that they were paying top dollar for a law school that was not build and the closest major court was 40 miles away in Altoona or 100 miles away in HArrisburg. In addition, the students said PSU was great for partying but there is no time for same in law school and that the "kids" (Undergrads) were noisy and annoying. Additionally, they noted that most classes were broadcast via cable TV from Carlisle and that the experienced and excellent Professors, like Professor Place and Raines, appear to dislike the drive to State College and some even refuse. Thus, State College will eventually end up with new Professors without "connections."

The only courthouse is a few miles away in tiny Bellefonte. I was amazed to hear that the few available clerkships went to STate College and Bellefonte residents! So, if you choose PSU, I would recommend Carlisle, as it is only a few clicks to HArrisburg; a city populated by Federal and State courts.

I am amazed that PSU has been waitlisting so many. In some semblance of a cross-section, Law School Numbers lists 100 accepted and 49 withdrawn. The posts herein indicatepeople are dying to get in-maybe at just the Carlisle campus.

I suggest PSU entice a federal court to relocate to the area. Maybe JOEPA can make a call?

melbel08

New

Post by melbel08 » Sun May 04, 2008 12:22 pm

^^
Which is why they have the Penn State Dickinson Campus as an option.

arich24

New

Post by arich24 » Sun May 04, 2008 2:08 pm

Yeah, all the negatives mention in that post can be cleared up by choosing Carlisle! Sorry you didn't make that choice:(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jomallix

New

Post by jomallix » Sun May 04, 2008 2:21 pm

I'm pretty sure you can switch locations after each year or semester, right?

melbel08

New

Post by melbel08 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Yup. That's always an option. I think we can actually switch locations from where we originally signed up to attend, up until orientation.

jomallix

New

Post by jomallix » Sun May 04, 2008 4:34 pm

I know you can switch before the school year, I heard it straight from an admin rep.

I'll live at which ever location is most convenient after the first year.

melbel08

New

Post by melbel08 » Sun May 04, 2008 4:35 pm

which one are you going to be on for the fall?

and by that i meant....

so are you definitely leaning toward UP?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jomallix

New

Post by jomallix » Sun May 04, 2008 5:39 pm

I have been accepted to UP for the fall. Although my chances of attending PSU-DSL are about 75-25% in favor. I'm still waiting on other schools. But, I'm visiting both locations two Wednesdays from today. I'll make my mind up after that. It would probably be State College for the first year because:

1. Excitement
2. Culture & diversity
3. Location; my hometown (my dad's the D.A. and he runs the 40 y.o. family practice) is an hour and twenty minutes from State College and I just purchased a season pass at our country club.

On the flip side, I'm not sure how much of State College is the college bar-undergrad scene. That chapter of my life is definately closed for good. The one thing that concerns me though is the joint-degree program. I'm really considering the JD/MIA. If I'm in Carlisle, would I have to do all the grad classes via telecom?

DCLabor25

New

Re: Penn State Dickinson School of Law 2011 -NO CLERKSHIPS

Post by DCLabor25 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:34 pm

Lipper wrote:I turned down PSU - State College because of a number of reasons; however, the lack of Federal and State clerkships was the determiner. I spent a few days around the Business building and spoke to a plethora of law students who eagerly expressed anger that they were paying top dollar for a law school that was not build and the closest major court was 40 miles away in Altoona or 100 miles away in HArrisburg. In addition, the students said PSU was great for partying but there is no time for same in law school and that the "kids" (Undergrads) were noisy and annoying. Additionally, they noted that most classes were broadcast via cable TV from Carlisle and that the experienced and excellent Professors, like Professor Place and Raines, appear to dislike the drive to State College and some even refuse. Thus, State College will eventually end up with new Professors without "connections."

The only courthouse is a few miles away in tiny Bellefonte. I was amazed to hear that the few available clerkships went to STate College and Bellefonte residents! So, if you choose PSU, I would recommend Carlisle, as it is only a few clicks to HArrisburg; a city populated by Federal and State courts.

I am amazed that PSU has been waitlisting so many. In some semblance of a cross-section, Law School Numbers lists 100 accepted and 49 withdrawn. The posts herein indicatepeople are dying to get in-maybe at just the Carlisle campus.

I suggest PSU entice a federal court to relocate to the area. Maybe JOEPA can make a call?

I can see all of these being negatives for the UP campus. I think being very close to Harrisburg is a real strong point for Dickinson -- people don't realize it, but after Pittsburgh and Philly, Harrisburg really is the third biggest legal market in the state, between the state government and private sector (a fair number of PA BIGLAW firms have satellite offices in Harrisburg). I would greatly prefer to be close to that type of action rather being stuck way up in State College, which really is in the middle of nowhere.

Zarain

New

Post by Zarain » Mon May 05, 2008 11:58 am

Lipper wrote:I turned down PSU - State College because of a number of reasons; however, the lack of Federal and State clerkships was the determiner. I spent a few days around the Business building and spoke to a plethora of law students who eagerly expressed anger that they were paying top dollar for a law school that was not build and the closest major court was 40 miles away in Altoona or 100 miles away in HArrisburg. In addition, the students said PSU was great for partying but there is no time for same in law school and that the "kids" (Undergrads) were noisy and annoying. Additionally, they noted that most classes were broadcast via cable TV from Carlisle and that the experienced and excellent Professors, like Professor Place and Raines, appear to dislike the drive to State College and some even refuse. Thus, State College will eventually end up with new Professors without "connections."

There are a few issues that this post fails to address. The new law building at State college will be ready by December of 2008. So new students will be able to enjoy the state of the art new law building at State college that the school poured millions upon millions into. The building at Carlisle wont be complete until a full year after that. There is no reason, (At least to my knowledge) that a first year student would have to frequent federal or state courts, so proximity to courts first year doesn't really matter. If you would like a federal clerkship in Harrisburg for your 1L summer. Get a cheap summer sublet for $300 a month in Carlisle. What many people fail to recognize is that PSU- State College and PSU - Carlisle is the same law school. PSU makes this very clear in their literature and on their website. An Employer is not going to give an edge over one or the other because it is the same school. It is also against ABA rules that any first year classes are done over video conferencing. So all of your first year classes will be by an instructor in person. Many of them are also 1L instructors at Carlisle. Penn State also allows you to switch campuses right before the beginning of any semester.

My strategy is I am going to spend my first year at State college and take advantage of the vast school resources there as well as the new Law building my second semester. I am going to assess at that point if it would be more beneficial to take advantage of the resources at Carlisle and request that campus or stay at State college. What most people don't realize is that you can take full advantage of either campus at any time. There are also several free shuttles that run from campus to campus 3 times a day. Thats my two cents. Take it or leave it . =)

arich24

New

Post by arich24 » Mon May 05, 2008 12:42 pm

My strategy is I am going to spend my first year at State college and take advantage of the vast school resources there as well as the new Law building my second semester. I am going to assess at that point if it would be more beneficial to take advantage of the resources at Carlisle and request that campus or stay at State college. What most people don't realize is that you can take full advantage of either campus at any time. There are also several free shuttles that run from campus to campus 3 times a day. Thats my two cents. Take it or leave it . =)
Great strategy and I ditto everything you say! I just get distracted too easily which is why I had to pick Carlisle:)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jomallix

New

Post by jomallix » Mon May 05, 2008 2:16 pm

Wow, the shuttle service is amazing. That's got to be a long ride though. The admin rep didn't tell me about that.

I'm assuming the shuttle service is provided via some "activity fee" levied by the Student Bar?

jomallix

New

Post by jomallix » Wed May 07, 2008 7:04 pm

Just did my visit of the State College campus today. I sat and spoke with an admin rep for a good half hour or so. I was really impressed with everything, with the exception of the building they're in now. But of course, that's immaterial since the new building looks incredible.

I also had no idea of Penn State's plan for a large garden immediately next to the new law building. The plans I saw hanging in the student lounge were audacious; it looked like a garden villa from the 18th century and it's absolutely huge in scale. Looks like a good place to blow off steam.

I toured the rest of the University and even though I live only a 1.5 hrs from the place, I had no idea that it was so large. Quite the place. I was really impressed with the whole scene. I don't know if I can pass it up.

To correct an earlier piece of this thread: There are no longer shuttles from Carlisle to PSU and vice versa. The admin rep told me that students never used it so they canned the idea. And, it was funded by the University and not some activity fee paid by law students. Speaking of activity fees, I forgot to ask her about the SBA bugdet, but not that it really matters.

Instead of shuttles, there are buses going to and from both locations frequently, but not to the law schools, just the center of Carlisle and the main State College system hub.

Is anyone else considering a JD/MIA or any other joint degree?

melbel08

New

Post by melbel08 » Wed May 07, 2008 7:44 pm

i am considering the jd/ed thp program (the education policy joint degree)

arich24

New

Post by arich24 » Wed May 07, 2008 8:58 pm

Off topic, but I'm a new aunt today!!!!! My brother and his wife had a baby girl today, Mary Virginia!!! and I just took my LAST final ever (at the undergraduate level of course)! AHHHHH! What a day :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jomallix

New

Post by jomallix » Thu May 08, 2008 5:35 am

Well congratulations on both fronts. I can remember having the same feelings when I became and uncle and when I took that last undergrad final.

escobarsonlam

New

Post by escobarsonlam » Thu May 08, 2008 5:40 pm

I spent a few days around the Business building and spoke to a plethora of law students who eagerly expressed anger that they were paying top dollar for a law school that was not build and the closest major court was 40 miles away in Altoona or 100 miles away in HArrisburg.
Really? I mean...they didn't lie about the date of completion and it couldn't be any more obvious buildings were still in progress. It wasn't exactly a bait and switch or any kind of hustle going on.
In addition, the students said PSU was great for partying but there is no time for same in law school and that the "kids" (Undergrads) were noisy and annoying.
Again...I am not going to place too much faith in people who overlooked or missed such obvious blatant facts in front of them. You're going to school in a college town...THE college town as far as I'm concerned. You will run into kids away from home the first time, young and immature, it's a given. I don't go to sports events and complain there was far too much cheering and yelling. I don't go to steak houses and complain there's too much meat on the menu. That would make me kind of....dumb.

Zarain

New

Post by Zarain » Thu May 08, 2008 10:49 pm

escobarsonlam wrote:
I spent a few days around the Business building and spoke to a plethora of law students who eagerly expressed anger that they were paying top dollar for a law school that was not build and the closest major court was 40 miles away in Altoona or 100 miles away in HArrisburg.
Really? I mean...they didn't lie about the date of completion and it couldn't be any more obvious buildings were still in progress. It wasn't exactly a bait and switch or any kind of hustle going on.
In addition, the students said PSU was great for partying but there is no time for same in law school and that the "kids" (Undergrads) were noisy and annoying.
Again...I am not going to place too much faith in people who overlooked or missed such obvious blatant facts in front of them. You're going to school in a college town...THE college town as far as I'm concerned. You will run into kids away from home the first time, young and immature, it's a given. I don't go to sports events and complain there was far too much cheering and yelling. I don't go to steak houses and complain there's too much meat on the menu. That would make me kind of....dumb.
TITCR

Herbellis

New

Post by Herbellis » Fri May 09, 2008 8:39 pm

I got into UNLV. That makes things difficult. I don't know. Any ideas?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”