Wake Forest class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
lishi

Silver

Re: Wake Forest class of 2011

Post by lishi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:35 pm

So this is going to sound a little dorky, but....

Has anyone noticed that our wake forest mail account sucks. There is no way to make folders to put emails in. I'm used to having a folder for each class and then a few others to keep my emails. But I can't figure out how that can happen with ours. :(

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:27 pm

lishi wrote:So this is going to sound a little dorky, but....

Has anyone noticed that our wake forest mail account sucks. There is no way to make folders to put emails in. I'm used to having a folder for each class and then a few others to keep my emails. But I can't figure out how that can happen with ours. :(
Yes, it is particularly awful. I just filtered into gmail, so I didn't have to deal with it. Do that, so you can use your folders!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:40 pm

I don't know what mail program you were using, but I actually found one that is much better than the one I was using before.

--LinkRemoved--

This one lets you make folders and organize things.

presidentoftheworld

New

Post by presidentoftheworld » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:09 pm

maybe i'm just illiterate, but how did you set your email to forward. i tried to find a way to forward to gmail as well, but i didn't see a forwarding option.
thanks!

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:38 pm

Under "Settings - Accounts," there's a "Get mail from other accounts" option. If you add your Wake address, Gmail will check and "fetch" any mail from that account every 30 minutes. So while it isn't instantaneous, it lets you avoid the Wake account. The Wake option lishi posted is much better than the one I was using, so you might be able to forward from that set-up, but I haven't checked it out yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Wed Aug 13, 2008 3:49 pm

So after logging into the site lishi posted, I found a few emails I haven't received, so scratch what I said! But it looks like some of them were properly forwarded, so I don't know. If anyone can figure it out, let me know!

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:58 am

It all starts tomorrow. I'm excited. I'm a bit nervous. I'm just looking forward to getting started and meeting you all.

Yay!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:56 pm

Hey everyone!!! Just wanted to know how the first day of orientation went.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:46 pm

It was nice to meet some of the people on here (and others in general), though I apoligize for being fun and awkward in real life...minus the fun of course :)

There wasn't much to today. Lots of downtime. Lots and lots of downtime. Photos, wait a few hours. IT meeting, lunch, wait a few hours. Can't say as much about the picnic because I was stuck in a vet's waiting room for 1.5 hours while my old vet (who I'm never going back to) kept not faxing records. Fun times. I got there late, and it seems like it has either cleared out or the rain had scared people off. Either way, it reinforced my dislike of Aramark catered food. Ick.

I enjoyed it, but felt like I still have tons and tons of people to get to know. As it should be: it's only day one.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:34 am

Ok well secretly I'm glad. I was afraid that everyone would bond the first day and I would feel left out when I join on Monday.

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:07 pm

lishi wrote:Ok well secretly I'm glad. I was afraid that everyone would bond the first day and I would feel left out when I join on Monday.
No! I've been meeting people all week, but still only recognized a very small portion of our class yesterday, so no need to worry. Lots of downtime is right. I spent most of the day running errands. I thought it was a little odd that our schedule had so many holes in it, but what are you going to do.

And hope your dog is over waytofailself! That sounds like a terrible vet experience.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:24 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:
lishi wrote:Ok well secretly I'm glad. I was afraid that everyone would bond the first day and I would feel left out when I join on Monday.
And hope your dog is over waytofailself! That sounds like a terrible vet experience.
It was my older cat actually, and he's kinda okay but kinda not. The big thing is that our old vet refuses to admit that his blood sugar shouldn't be so high, and ever since we questioned them on it they have really been pissy at us...as in they refused to send records and it took someone at the new vet we're going to (Mt. Tabor Animal Hospital) screaming at them to get them to send it over. We asked originally at 9 AM. They sent it at 5:30 after the 3rd request.

Kitty update: the other place kept talking about OMG YER CAT HAZ BRIAN TUMORZ!!111!1 but wouldn't really explain why or anything. He's responded well to a steroid medication that we've had him on for a few months (which according to the new vet means that there may very well be some kind of neurological condition, but we don't have $1500 to fork out for an MRI to know for sure). However, his high blood sugar is because the steroids he is on is giving him diabetes, so we've changes his diet from high carb to high protein and we're looking at switching his meds.

At least we finally found a vet who would sit down and give us answers. The other place just let his rabies shots slide and didn't even tell us that they were due the last two times we were there (Olde Town Vet Hospital on Rynolda)

Sorry for the non LS venting.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:42 pm

What was in the packet that they gave out. Did it have our class syllabi in it?? Any other exciting info??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:32 pm

Syllabi will be posted on Blackboard. I already had to print out over 100 pages for Crim law (oh, and free printing is a thing of the past too. They'll let you print to a number...they don't know that number yet, then start charging you. I bought a printer today as a result).

In the packet was the orientation schedule, your student ID, your refund check (if everything had been taken care of), a student handbook, and most importantly your registration info for westlaw and nexus.

If I'm forgetting anything I apologize.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 8:08 pm

Oh my syllabi aren't up on Blackboard. I guess I have to keep checking.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:21 pm

lishi wrote:Oh my syllabi aren't up on Blackboard. I guess I have to keep checking.
Actually, correction from my broad, sweeping generalizations before. Some syllabi will be posted on BB, but most will be given out the first day of class. However, I do have plenty of assignments posted on BB, so be on the lookout.

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:18 pm

I am not looking forward to four straight hours of LRW tomorrow. And for some reason I was under the impression that it was pass/fail, which it isn't, which stresses me out even more. Oh well. See you all tomorrow!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:23 pm

whenpigsfly wrote:And for some reason I was under the impression that it was pass/fail, which it isn't, which stresses me out even more.
I noticed that too. At least that means that the class that we'll be doing the most work for will pay us off by actually giving us something to weigh into our GPA? Or is that a little too optimistic?

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:33 pm

I guess my teacher don't like Blackboard, because the only person to post something is my LRW teacher and my only assignment is to read that first day of class reading they showed us a couple weeks ago.

Does anyone know what the curve is?

I know that classes have an average of 85, but what percentage get As, what percentage Bs, etc. I'm sure this could be figured out with simple math, but it's simple math that I don't know.

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:48 pm

I'm not sure of the curve, lishi, but I found the grades needed to obtain certain percentiles on the NALP website, which I found pretty useful. Again, I'm sure the math could be done, but that's not my strength.

Top 10%: 89.9
Top 25%: 87.5
Top 33%: 86.9
Top 50%: 85.2
Top 75%: 82.8

It blows my mind that just 2.4 points is the difference between finishing in the top 10 percent and the top 25 percent.

acharpe

New

Post by acharpe » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:59 pm

Have any of you gotten any of the additional materials recommended on this site (course outlines, E&Es) that are not part of our book lists? The bookstore's selection seems pretty slim in this regard. If so, did you find them locally or get them online?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:04 pm

I got all of my extra materials from amazon or other places during the summer. The only thing I got at the book store was the CivPro E&E because it was hard to find the 6th edition online.

Does anyone have a syllabus or reading assignment for CivPro, Torts or Contracts??? I finally got my reading schedule for Crim, but I don't know how we are supposed to find out about other subjects if they don't post on Blackboard.

waytofailself

Bronze

Post by waytofailself » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:25 pm

Civ Pro has been opened up for section 1 in blackboard, but all of the folders are empty. My best guess is that we'll be waiting until next Monday.

lishi

Silver

Post by lishi » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:33 pm

But if classes start on Monday, does that mean that there are no reading assignments for that day??

Also I don't think I've seen anyone!!! If any of you have seen me and have not said hello, I'll be very disappointed.

whenpigsfly

New

Post by whenpigsfly » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:06 pm

They just put up Section One's Torts stuff on Blackboard, too. Complete with Monday's reading. Fun, fun.
lishi wrote:Also I don't think I've seen anyone!!! If any of you have seen me and have not said hello, I'll be very disappointed.
I saw you run out to the bathroom during the speeches on Monday! Didn't seem like the appropriate time to say hello though, ha.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”