UC Hastings - 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
metaomni

New

UC Hastings - 2011

Post by metaomni » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:00 pm

Last edited by metaomni on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pachydermavenger

New

Re: UC Hastings - 2011

Post by pachydermavenger » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:02 pm

can you sell me your acceptance letter? I have about 15.50 in change I will give you.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:04 pm

Seriously thinking about it. Would you mind sharing if there was anything that "made" the decision for you? Thanks.

metaomni

New

Post by metaomni » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:35 pm

Last edited by metaomni on Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:39 pm

Yeah, their reputation in the Bay Area is definitely a big plus in my book. There are a ton of good law schools in the area too, you could even include SCU and USF in your discussion. Just fyi, though, UCSF is science-only, so there's no law school there. Thanks for sharing!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nixkia

New

Post by nixkia » Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:27 pm

I'm going! Sent my deposit in today and applied for housing in the Tower as well. Are you going to try to live there? Any clue what a new students chances are to get a spot? Also, I've never been to San Francisco in my life (currently living in Chicago) so any insight into the area would be appreciated. Congrats, classmate!

metaomni

New

Post by metaomni » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:27 pm

nixkia wrote:I'm going! Sent my deposit in today and applied for housing in the Tower as well. Are you going to try to live there? Any clue what a new students chances are to get a spot? Also, I've never been to San Francisco in my life (currently living in Chicago) so any insight into the area would be appreciated. Congrats, classmate!
I'm not going to the Tower... the kitchen's are just dreadful -- two burners, and literally a mini-fridge in each apartment. I couldn't handle it! With that said, I'm really really worried about finding an apartment. I'm in Boston right now (and haven't ever been to SF either!)... thankfully I have a good friend in SF who's going to help me scope out a place.

I called McAllister about two days ago. They said that there are usually 100 apartments available for incoming 1L's... and as of then she only had about 25-30 applications.

nixkia

New

Post by nixkia » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:41 am

Oh wow, that is incredibly helpful, thanks! Fingers crossed I'll get in... I've lived in some pretty crappy rooms/apartments and my #1 priority is proximity to campus so I'd be thrilled. I hope you find a good place! It sounds like you and your fiance will be sharing so that should be a big help keeping costs down.

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:09 am

Oh cool, we have a thread. I'm still debating actually.

Here's some nice employment prospects stats: http://www.uchastings.edu/?pid=1913

I'm leaning heavily towards Hastings right now. It's the best school I've gotten into, and the job prospects are the best by far. Even though I want to live in SoCal eventually, I think Hastings will be able to get me in. Who knows, maybe I'll fall in love with San Fran and decide to stay there.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:26 am

nixkia wrote:Oh wow, that is incredibly helpful, thanks! Fingers crossed I'll get in... I've lived in some pretty crappy rooms/apartments and my #1 priority is proximity to campus so I'd be thrilled. I hope you find a good place! It sounds like you and your fiance will be sharing so that should be a big help keeping costs down.
Same for me - proximity to campus is my #1. At least for 1L. Maybe I'll be braver after my first year. I'm used to tiny places - grew up in a 650 sq. ft. condo with my parents, so if their 1bds really are 500sq ft. I'll be in great shape. It'll be me and my fiance' probably.

nixkia

New

Post by nixkia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:19 am

I heard that the start sending leases in July, which seems really far away! The guy I spoke to at the Towers said, very cryptically, 'your promptness will be rewarded,' so I think that means I should get a spot!

I'm moving over from Chicago so pretty nervous about the huge change but so excited. Trying to decide now how best to spend my summer. Any plans? Are you reading any of those What to Expect/ Law School Confidential/ Getting to Maybe books?

emilyk

New

Post by emilyk » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:52 pm

nixkia wrote:I heard that the start sending leases in July, which seems really far away! The guy I spoke to at the Towers said, very cryptically, 'your promptness will be rewarded,' so I think that means I should get a spot!

I'm moving over from Chicago so pretty nervous about the huge change but so excited. Trying to decide now how best to spend my summer. Any plans? Are you reading any of those What to Expect/ Law School Confidential/ Getting to Maybe books?
crap, when did you send your housing app? i'm sendng mine tomorrow. i hope i get "rewarded" too. LOL.

nixkia

New

Post by nixkia » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:15 pm

Just sent it in last week, FedEx. I put down "studio" and "high" (as in, in the air) but that's about it. Ive read about people requesting lots of natural sunlight and westward facing windows, but I was not nearly that specific. Have you decided on Hastings then? Yay! Im so curious already about what our class will be like...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:25 pm

I'll probably be commuting in from the East Bay because of my SO. I just checked out the new library on Saturday and it was NICE. Have all you guys visited campus yet? (I know you haven't yet Emily). What do you think about the facilities, location, etc?

metaomni

New

Post by metaomni » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:27 pm

BioLaw wrote:I'll probably be commuting in from the East Bay because of my SO. I just checked out the new library on Saturday and it was NICE. Have all you guys visited campus yet? (I know you haven't yet Emily). What do you think about the facilities, location, etc?
I haven't visited yet... and sadly probably won't be able to until my SO and I move out there. Have you seen any of the classrooms? I'd be interested to know what they're like.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Sun Mar 23, 2008 11:32 pm

I actually took the LSAT at Hastings, but in the auditorium, not the classrooms. I did peek in one while I was there, though. It was pretty standard, with whiteboard in front, long tables arranged in tiers to the back of the room. There seemed to be plenty of plugs and all that. Nothing super exciting, but definitely serviceable. And like I said, that was only one room.

Calikat

New

Post by Calikat » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:30 pm

Does anyone know if the Tower is reinforced masonry? I have never been able to find out. Would hate to be living in it during a powerful earthquake if it is not. And with the 140 year anniversary of the last big Hayward fault earthquake coming up in 6-7 short months... (it has historically had a big one every 140 years).

For those not looking to live right next to campus, I would recommend living along the 5 Fulton line. It has direct (i.e. no changes) access to UC Hastings. This allows living in Lower Haight, Western Addition, Alamo Square, NOPA, Lone Mountain, and all parts of the Richmond.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:39 pm

I don't know the answer, but I've wondered about that myself because that building is mighty old. Still, I would imagine that it would have to be earthquake-safe, or they'd be setting themselves up for some serious legal issues if/when another big quake does happen. I'd imagine that someone in the management department at the tower could probably let you know.

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:43 pm

Calikat wrote: For those not looking to live right next to campus, I would recommend living along the 5 Fulton line. It has direct (i.e. no changes) access to UC Hastings. This allows living in Lower Haight, Western Addition, Alamo Square, NOPA, Lone Mountain, and all parts of the Richmond.
You can live most places in the city without transferring buses. If you live in the mission, you can take the 49 to Van Ness and McCallister, a three block walk to campus or you can take bart to Civic Center. If you live in the Sunset, you can take the N to Civic Center, Noe Valley the J to Civic Center (anywhere any of the lettered (J,K,L,M,N,T) underground trains go, you just take to Civic Center).

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:45 pm

Brizz: Are you going to Hastings for sure since Davis flopped on the grants? Or is it still up in the air?

brizz9

Bronze

Post by brizz9 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:59 pm

BioLaw wrote:Brizz: Are you going to Hastings for sure since Davis flopped on the grants? Or is it still up in the air?
It's still up in the air. I'm hoping to have my mind made up by the end of this week, or sometime next.

Also, regarding the Tower, it was seismically retrofitted, I don't know to what extent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:01 pm

Once their grant offers come out, my decision will probably be made too. I don't want this to drag out much longer.

metaomni

New

Post by metaomni » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:06 pm

Just got back from the Boston reception. It was fun, several alumni in the area came and there was a decent turn-out.

Nothing new information wise. Greg Canada (Director of Admissions) was there and was really friendly and helpful talking about SF and the school and such. Confirmed applications were up about 20% this year at Hastings, and implied that they are done sending out offers of admission and are beginning to work on the waitlist now.

BioLaw

Bronze

Post by BioLaw » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:10 pm

metaomni wrote:Just got back from the Boston reception. It was fun, several alumni in the area came and there was a decent turn-out.

Nothing new information wise. Greg Canada (Director of Admissions) was there and was really friendly and helpful talking about SF and the school and such. Confirmed applications were up about 20% this year at Hastings, and implied that they are done sending out offers of admission and are beginning to work on the waitlist now.
Anything notable from the alumni? Did they head out to Boston directly out of school, or did most work in CA for a few years and transfer out? How did they feel their degree held up against some of the bigger name schools from the east coast?

metaomni

New

Post by metaomni » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:15 pm

BioLaw wrote:Anything notable from the alumni? Did they head out to Boston directly out of school, or did most work in CA for a few years and transfer out? How did they feel their degree held up against some of the bigger name schools from the east coast?
Most seemed to have worked on the west coast for a few years and moved out east afterwards. Generally agreed that a Hastings degree carried to this coast, but not as powerfully as it carried on the west coast (obviously). At least one of the alumni did their SA at a firm with offices on both coasts and ended up asking for an internal transfer before starting at the west coast office.

Generally opinion seemed positive about where a Hastings degree can carry. They felt it carried weight against the regional schools in the Boston area. Most agreed that Hastings grads were competing against Berkeley and Stanford grads, but that there were more jobs in the SF Bay area than worthwhile grads coming from any of the three schools -- and that Hastings grads seemed to be known for their more "hands on" knowledge of the law, rather than the Ivory Tower law found at the other Bay Area institutions.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”