University of Texas 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
RATRATRAT

Bronze

Re: University of Texas 2011

Post by RATRATRAT » Mon May 19, 2008 2:52 pm

So, UT is really getting owned over in the TLS class of 2011 thread. We've got to do something about this.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon May 19, 2008 5:29 pm

Picked out an apartment today. Hyde Park area, a bit more costly than I'd have preferred, but I think the whole area seems to cost a bit more than Wisconsin, hah! About a mile from the school, which should be a really nice walk every morning. So excited! Moving down the 14th or so...how bout everyone else?

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Mon May 19, 2008 5:38 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:how bout everyone else?
I should be there right at the start of August. I learned the hard way in UG that I should show up early & figure out where the essentials are, that way I don't spend the first week or so of law school taking 3 hours to find the Wal-Mart.

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Mon May 19, 2008 10:04 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:how bout everyone else?
I should be there right at the start of August. I learned the hard way in UG that I should show up early & figure out where the essentials are, that way I don't spend the first week or so of law school taking 3 hours to find the Wal-Mart.
Haha, yeah. It is kind of interesting getting around town. This is my second trip down here in the past 2 months, and I've found myself going in the wrong direction on Mopac/35 plenty of times!

BTW, anyone mind PMing back and forth the general vicinity of where they'll be next year? I'm interested in seeing where everyone else decided to stay.

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Tue May 20, 2008 2:32 am

I'm thinking East Austin looks the most likely for me. The places appear nicer than the ones north of UT for the price, and it would be just a short bike commute. I'm going down later in June to check it out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Tue May 20, 2008 2:33 am

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:LaffyTaffy, I really like the Braun icon, sweet stuff!
Holla! The Crew is driving me crazy

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Tue May 20, 2008 7:08 am

LaffyTaffy wrote:
LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:LaffyTaffy, I really like the Braun icon, sweet stuff!
Holla! The Crew is driving me crazy
Yeah, no shit. I can't wait to be home for the summer tomorrow so I can hit up as many games as possible. They need to turn it around soon, or it will be too late. At least Braun and Hart have done OK...Fielder on the other hand, yuck!

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Tue May 20, 2008 10:07 am

RATRATRAT wrote:So, UT is really getting owned over in the TLS class of 2011 thread. We've got to do something about this.
Ha. Yeah, Laffy's not even on there. I guess our 400 other brethren have better things to do with their time than hang out on TLS. :( We need to wrangle up the Facebook group and have them stampede this forum!

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Wed May 21, 2008 2:40 am

countbizaller wrote:
RATRATRAT wrote:So, UT is really getting owned over in the TLS class of 2011 thread. We've got to do something about this.
Ha. Yeah, Laffy's not even on there. I guess our 400 other brethren have better things to do with their time than hang out on TLS. :( We need to wrangle up the Facebook group and have them stampede this forum!
I posted an image of women's UT garments, but I guess the thread organizer didn't pick up on my way of committing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Wed May 21, 2008 5:41 am

LaffyTaffy wrote:
countbizaller wrote:
I posted an image of women's UT garments, but I guess the thread organizer didn't pick up on my way of committing.
haha, Yeah, I noticed that didn't work out. They're really stifling our creativity over there.

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Sun May 25, 2008 3:34 pm

Anyone know what the process is with athletics tickets? Are there lotteries or something? If I would have the option of scalping whatever tickets I don't want to make my money back I will probably try to get football tickets, but I definitely want tickets for basketball.

HomoChimpus

New

Post by HomoChimpus » Mon May 26, 2008 2:34 pm

--LinkRemoved--

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Mon May 26, 2008 3:36 pm

Nice, Badgers play at Texas this year.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Sat May 31, 2008 3:59 pm

Does anyone find this "pick-a-prof" program a bit silly? I mean, what better way to increase grade inflation than to have students weed out the profs that don't do it. The other info could be very useful though.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sat May 31, 2008 5:39 pm

LaffyTaffy wrote:Does anyone find this "pick-a-prof" program a bit silly? I mean, what better way to increase grade inflation than to have students weed out the profs that don't do it. The other info could be very useful though.
I just read that letter, actually. At first I didn't believe it was actually associated with the university. I've never heard of a university advertising picking classes based on what professor gives the most A's. I mean, I'm definitely not above that method for choosing classes & I regret not doing that more than I did in UG, but is it really in the interest of the university to promote that?

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:58 pm

It wasn't sent by the university was it?

And Laffy, do the Badgers play @Texas again this year? I know they did last year, but wasn't aware they did this year as well!

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:00 pm

At first I didn't think so at first, but after I read the whole thing I felt like it either was or was trying to come across like it was. Not really sure, though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:14 pm

It appears it is an independent website that culls all the info from University records.

Come to think of it that bball schedule I was looking at was probably old, as I'm not sure they put out new schedules this early. It didn't show scores or anything though.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:30 pm

LaffyTaffy wrote:It appears it is an independent website that culls all the info from University records.
Huh, well that makes more sense to me then. I didn't know that UT would release who has been accepted to their law school.

LaffyTaffy

Bronze

Post by LaffyTaffy » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:55 pm

RATRATRAT wrote:
LaffyTaffy wrote:It appears it is an independent website that culls all the info from University records.
Huh, well that makes more sense to me then. I didn't know that UT would release who has been accepted to their law school.
That's why I assumed it was directly affiliated with UT.

I found this in the english dept.
How can I find out more about a professor?

Any of the following places will help you find out more: our faculty comment book in Parlin 114, our online faculty pages, the DIIA website for course-instructor survey results, or one of the outside online professor evaluation sites (like Pick-A-Prof).
So it is independent, but apparently UT approves enough to give them our info.

countbizaller

Bronze

Post by countbizaller » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:37 am

Has anybody else gotten a package from V&E about law preview scholarships? I thought that was a clever way to get their firm's name out there early on to prospective hires.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:36 pm

Just got back from my apt search in Austin. It looks like I'll be living @ the Oak Park Apts in Hyde Park--anyone else staying around there?

readinmonotone

New

Post by readinmonotone » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:16 pm

UT is back in play for me again (against UVa). Quick, sell me.

RATRATRAT

Bronze

Post by RATRATRAT » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:27 pm

Austin is better--more stuff to do. The sports are better. The environment of the school & the town is better. Visit Austin--you'll probably like it. If you're from Texas, you're not likely to get a better deal, price-wise. How am I doing?

UT might not be better for your situation, but it was for mine. Granted I didn't have the choice b/w UVa & UT, but I did turn down another T14, & I chose not to sign the UVa binding waitlist & haven't sent a LOCI anywhere b/c I was sufficiently convinced about UT. UVa law is better, but I don't think the gap b/w the schools is enough to cancel all the other factors. Now if it's HYS vs UT, then I'd be willing to ignore a lot of QoL factors & pretty much all else to go to HYS. You're not considering HYS though. The fact you're considering UT makes me think that you have other reasons to go there, & if that's the case, I wouldn't let the disparity in rankings make the decision for me.

That's my best trolling effort. I am sure the 50+ strong UVa mob on this site will have my lunch for that.

arbitrageavatar

New

Post by arbitrageavatar » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:22 pm

How generous is Texas with grant aid if you have a low EFC?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”