Columbia Law Class of 2011 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
LoveButton

New

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2011

Post by LoveButton » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:06 pm

00TREX00 wrote:Anyone else get unfurnished? I requested furnished, and Im dreading the nightmare of going through that process in NYC.
Yep, I'm unfurnished, but I requested it. I lived in an apartment this year, so I've got my own bed, desk, etc. I imagine a lot of people will be selling used furniture in the neighborhood if you want to go the inexpensive route...just plan on sleeping on the floor for a few days. Also, Ikea is just a bus ride away (and they deliver).

Mark - I'm paying about $850 in rent, which is less than I'm paying now to live in D.C... In all, it's outrageously reasonable.

caits

New

Post by caits » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:54 pm

Yeah, I'll be paying a bit less than $900 with utilities and cable. Coming in $300 under the housing allowance so I might actually be able to afford the other aspects of living in New York: priceless.

dinolove

New

Post by dinolove » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:52 pm

i'm still waiting for my housing :( the housing ppl are definitely super nice though, very responsive every time I email/call and freak out haha

caits

New

Post by caits » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:01 pm

They are so, so nice. I got my move-in date issue fixed so now I get to keep my apartment and not sleep in a cardboard box for the first week of class!

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:31 pm

caits wrote:They are so, so nice. I got my move-in date issue fixed so now I get to keep my apartment and not sleep in a cardboard box for the first week of class!
Oh yay! I'm really glad that worked out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mcat4life87

New

Post by mcat4life87 » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Last edited by mcat4life87 on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

caits

New

Post by caits » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:02 pm

It looks pretty sweet on Google Street View- you;re right on the park!

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Sat Jul 05, 2008 12:36 pm

mcat4life87 wrote:I just got assigned to 362 Riverside Drive. Apparently it's a dorm. Anyone have any info on the building/area? I'll take anything I can get. I've heard that the dorms are horrible; anyone care to corroborate this claim and freak me out? Thanks in advance!

I agree with Caits...it looks like a pretty location! And you're right next to the metro.

Well, judging by this (http://www.columbia.edu/cu/ire/block/build/362rsdr.html), it looks like it's mostly grad students in the building, and you wouldn't be sharing a kitchen with more than 11 other people (at absolute most). You've got a 24-hour doorman, which is pretty cool (you don't have to worry about packages not being delivered!) Also, it's UAH housing, so you can always transfer to another UAH building next year if you don't like it.

Some CLS blogger ended up in a dorm their first year. You can view their entries on the subject here (--LinkRemoved--). The earlier entries are a bit alarming, but as you can see, everything worked out okay in the end for that person. I also think he may have had an unusually negative experience with the kitchen issue, but it seems like everyone, no matter where you are, has similar issues, and at least you're paying less for them in a dorm. And I'm sure the negative stuff made more more entertaining blog entries, anyway.

Plus, you'll make friends!

bendl

New

Post by bendl » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:53 am

fellow CLS people:
does anyone know what the deal is with packages at a non-doormaned UAH building? will my package languish in the vestibule until someone grabs it? will it be returned to the post office/FedEx office?

I'm trying to figure things out so I can post all of my worldly possessions to myself before I leave CA.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:05 am

I think it depends. If the sending requires a signature, it will go to the post office. USPS often leaves packages in our (doormanless) hallway, FedEx leaves a note telling you to call them/pick it up/wait for redelivery.

I'm not sure that this is the entire story, you may want to ask about the different options when you're sending your stuff.

The hallways are behind a locked door, by the way, so only residents of your building would have access to your packages if they are left there.

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:34 am

Incidentally, mcat, I just read through a bunch of that blogger's old posts, and he seriously sucks at tagging his dorm-related entries. Some of the other positive aspects of dorm life not included in that category tag included having a very large room and the extreme ease of forming a dorm study group.

dinolove

New

Post by dinolove » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:56 am

Help! I need to decide on housing.... I just got assigned to a room that is 10x10 ft on 108th and Manhattan. I don't like that it's outside of the Columbia area... Also, I feel like that's really small, but I have no idea. How big is that, and is that a good/safe area? Thanks!
Last edited by dinolove on Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lyrrad

New

Post by Lyrrad » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:02 am

dinolove wrote:Help! I need to decide on housing.... I just got assigned to a room that is 10x10 ft. I feel like that's really small, but I have no idea. How big is that?? Thanks!
Just a guess but 100 square feet?

I guess the best thing to do is use a tape measure and compare it to the size of your current room.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:17 am

dinolove wrote:Help! I need to decide on housing.... I just got assigned to a room that is 10x10 ft on 108th and Manhattan. I don't like that it's outside of the Columbia area... Also, I feel like that's really small, but I have no idea. How big is that, and is that a good/safe area? Thanks!
Are you straight out of UG? 8 blocks is not actually far away for anyone who has ever had to commute anywhere, for anything! :)

Looks like you are in an AMAZING location, right next to Central Park and a subway: http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-8&oe ... a=N&tab=wl

As for the size of the room, I second Lyrrad's suggestion! Also, I'm not sure what kind of unit your room is in (dorm? apartment share?) but if you have common space where you could put some things (living room, etc.) then you don't need quite as much room space.

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:35 am

It's a great location. You'll probably end up using the law school's lockers and library a bit more often than others because walking home for an hour's break makes less sense if you don't live within two blocks of the school, but 8 blocks is an 8-minute walk (maybe 10 minutes in the morning, because it's uphill to 116th street); I don't think anyone has ever complained about an eight-minute commute. (Actually, sometimes I wish I lived a bit farther from the school, because my 'commute' is only one block and so during the semester I hardly get any exercise.)

As for the size, that's up to you. I think my room is only a little bit larger (maybe something like 10x12 ft) and that's quite OK, but not everyone has the same taste.

dinolove

New

Post by dinolove » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:00 pm

thanks for all the quick responses guys! My other question is that my roomate is a 3L, and I'm afraid that we're not going to have too much in common (while I'm studying she'll be partying, etc.) Is this a reasonable worry?

NewHere

Bronze

Post by NewHere » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:21 pm

I don't know. Almost everyone gets assigned to a random roommate, who may or may not be the kind of person you would get along with, whether the person is a 1L or a 3L is not really going to change that. Some of my friends here in school got along great with their roommates and really got to be friends with them, others didn't really get to know their roommates very well and the contact was limited to the occasional encounter in the kitchen.

A 1L roommate may be fun, because you're going through the same experience together, but even a 1L may or may not be in your section (only 25% chance that s/he is) -- and if s/he's not, you can't really study together anyway. You'll get to know a lot of 1Ls just by going to class and other activities, so it's not as if you're missing something important by not having a 1L roommate.

One sort of hidden advantage to having a 3L roommate is that the room will free up after a year, after which you have a say in who your new roommate will be, if you want.

Last year, when I moved in (as a 1L), I had two 3L roommates. They were good roommates. Of course they weren't taking the same classes as I did, nor did they have the same schedule (more a pro than a con, when it comes to bathroom usage and such), but they were good sources of advice about exams, OCI, professors, etc.
Now that both of them have moved out, two of my classmates who are my friends have moved in. (When you are the person staying in an apartment when all the others are moving out, you can ask people to move in with you, and the housing office will generally agree to assign them to the vacant room(s).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

formerlurker

New

Post by formerlurker » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:53 pm

so, we've had a wealth of information come out in the past few days. I'm getting very excited.

Which events are you guys most excited to go to? Personally I'd go with private tour of the UN, that somehow makes me feel so much more special than being an entering law student entitles me to :-)

marshalthekid

New

Post by marshalthekid » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:13 pm

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the the orientation schedule and event calendar? if i use the links in the e-mail it tells me i dont have access and i cant seem to find those pages on the main orientation site...

Gators08

New

Post by Gators08 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:33 pm

marshalthekid wrote:Is anyone else having trouble accessing the the orientation schedule and event calendar? if i use the links in the e-mail it tells me i dont have access and i cant seem to find those pages on the main orientation site...
It took me forever. Just go to the main law school website and click on "Current Students". There should be a link for JD Orientation 08 in the side bar, and THAT orientation page has the calendar and schedule. I think they messed up the links in the email.

DOS

New

Post by DOS » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:26 pm

Bedbugs in Lenfest? :shock:

--LinkRemoved--

This is a big deal.

Fortunately CLS has almost a month to get rid of them before the new leases start. Some bedbugs are so small that they can hide inside an alarm clock or inside a book making the pests very hard to exterminate. They naturally seek out tiny crevices and live off human blood (their preferred meal). In fact people in NYC have been known to throw out literally all their possessions and move to a new apartment since that is the only way to get rid of them for sure.

By the way NEVER buy used bedding, clothing, or upholstered furniture in NYC since you never know why people are getting rid of their stuff.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

LoveButton

New

Post by LoveButton » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:50 pm

bedbugs are awwwwful, and extremely hard to get rid of. definitely a good idea to avoid used bedding...it's just not worth it!

i hope they stay out of UAH housing!

dran

New

Post by dran » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:05 pm

Ugh, bedbugs are everywhere in NY. I'm surprised Lenfest is the only building affected, seeing as how the bedbugs came from Cravath. There must have been 2L's and 3L's working at Cravath who live in Lionsgate or UAH apartments. The scary part is how easily they hitchhike from one apartment building to classrooms to the library to another apartment building. Yuck.

The good part, at least, is that Columbia will be super-vigilant about them for the next few months.

Soulofheaven8

New

Post by Soulofheaven8 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:37 pm

Anyone know when our first.last@law.columbia.edu email address will start to work? I thought it gets activated automatically after one completes the Computer Based Training, but I just tried sending an email to mine and it doesn't seem to be functional yet.

stephenr86

New

Post by stephenr86 » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:51 pm

I have no idea when they start working, but I believe it is shortly after you do computer based training. I did my computer based training a month ago and my first.last@law.columbia.edu email address is working now. (I just checked it when I saw your post).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”