GW Law School Class of '11 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2011)
setareh19

New

GW Law School Class of '11

Post by setareh19 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:08 pm

So I think it is pretty much a 99% chance I am going to GW. Anyone else think they are definately going there or think that it is still a top candidate? Also, anyone a current student with advice or comments about the school?

friaznatch13

New

Post by friaznatch13 » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:12 pm

I'm going in the Fall.

Rosstafarian

New

Post by Rosstafarian » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:22 pm

It's near the top of the responses I've heard from so far. Why do you like it so much?

friaznatch13

New

Post by friaznatch13 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:08 am

Well, being from Canada and only being in Niagara Falls, NY for UG, I love the DC area. I went to visit the school 2 days after they called me to say I got in and the area really appealed to me. I'm not in the mood to amass a great deal of debt and the money offered was enough to get me to turn down Cornell... I'm also a big fan of the noncompetitive nature of the school. I'm not in the mood for a cut-throat environment for 3 years.

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:14 am

Funny--I just read on LSD that it is a frighteningly competitive environment. I don't know personally but I'd interested to know what makes you think the opposite. Reputation or discussions you had with students?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

friaznatch13

New

Post by friaznatch13 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:16 am

Conversation with students and the Dean (or Assistant Dean...). And I've heard that from a friend who lives in the area. I could be wrong, but I definitely didn't get that vibe when I was there.

commoner

New

Post by commoner » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:28 am

I was accepted though i do not know if i will be attending. GW is an awesome school that is extremely respected here in the dc area and is known for treating their students nicely. as far as competition, i don't believe that it is in any way overly so.

cjp214

New

Post by cjp214 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:36 am

Someone, what is "LSD" please? No, no, not the drug...

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:52 am

Not the drug but for hardcore forum posters, it might as well be. "LSD" is http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cjp214

New

Post by cjp214 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:56 am

Thanks prettypithy :)

LetMeInPlease

New

Post by LetMeInPlease » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:02 pm

The noncompetative environment might stem from the fact that they don't rank...well at least not conventionally. They have a top % system.

GHH923

New

Post by GHH923 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:34 pm

I toured the school and several students emphasized the non-compete nature. I agree that the top % might have something to do with it, but am not sure. Its my #1.

friaznatch13

New

Post by friaznatch13 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:16 pm

When I went and spoke to Dean Richard she told me that you'll know if you're in the top 10 or 15% because you'll be in something like "Presidential Honors" and then you'll know you're in the next 10 or 15% by being in something else. You won't know what you are in either, you just have an idea as to how well you're doing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rayster

New

Post by Rayster » Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:44 pm

Every time I have visited a school and they have assured me it was one thing, it usually turned out to be the opposite. Just be careful.

For grad school, I was visiting Harvard and the students said "Oh yea, Boston is cheap, our rent is only $600 per month!" It turned out they had 6 people in a 3 bedroom apartment! Their bunk-beds weren't mentioned when they bragged about their rent.

I'm not saying this to make people nervous, but try to talk with people who aren't giving you the tour. In my grad department the students doing recruitment are specifically chosen for a reason, law schools are even more competitive with prospectives, so I would bet it is similar.

setareh19

New

Re: GW Law School Class of '11

Post by setareh19 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:24 pm

I am currently in my last year at GW undergrad and I have to say that the campus and the entire DC environment is one of the major reasons I have decided to continue my education here. As for expenses, living in any city is going to be expensive and I'm sure that if students don't decide to go GW it is because they have opted to go to another big name city school, so expenses won't be that different. GW is located in the best/safest part of DC 4 blocks away from the white house so there is a reason the rent is so high. That being said though, it is definately possible to find cheap places if you are willing to squeeze or if you are willing to move slightly off campus. And if you aren't from around here, the neighborhoods around GW are really nice and filled with young professionals. It is a great place to go to school if you feel like NYC and Boston are too overwhelming, but don't want to go to a school in the middle of nowhere. I don't know about the competitive nature at the school, but one student who have spoken to has said that she has really enjoyed her first semester as a 1L and that it wasn't as hard and cut throat as everyone had made law school out to be. And GW is a good enough school that you won't have trouble finding a job in NYC or other big cities if you decide not to stay in DC after graduation. Take it from me, I am originally from a surburb of DC and have gone to school in DC for the past 4 years and I am still not tired of this city. You definately have opportunities here you won't find anyplace else!

luckynumber8s

New

Post by luckynumber8s » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Where do most law students live? On-campus housing or what neighborhoods & streets near by?

So if I really want to live in NYC or Chicago, then DC won't do as a good subsitute, right?

luckynumber8s

New

Post by luckynumber8s » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:30 am

University-Sponsored Housing

The Aston
The Hall on Virginia Avenue (HOVA)

or should I just find something on Craigslist?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

friaznatch13

New

Post by friaznatch13 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:27 pm

I'm going to be living in The Aston when I go next year, what is it like? Does anyone know and like/not like it?

luckynumber8s

New

Post by luckynumber8s » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:29 pm

how do u know ur in at the Aston?? did housing notify u already?

setareh19

New

Post by setareh19 » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:24 pm

the aston is a really nice dorm. i think it used to be a hotel so it still has a very stylish look to it (not at all like a regular college dorm). only grad students live there (which is a plus) and all the rooms are singles with their own bathrooms but not sure about kitchens. the only downside is that it is relatively far from campus (about 8-10 blocks i think) but this is also kind of a plus b/c it is closer to downtown and far from undergrad dorms. for a dorm, it is pretty much as good as you can get.

friaznatch13

New

Post by friaznatch13 » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:13 pm

Yeah it has a kitchen, I saw the floor plan, but not any real pictures. I got housing through ED so they told me I'd be there. Yeah when I went to visit they said it was a few blocks away (not sure if it's quite 8 though). I was just wondering if there was anyone with actual pictures. It's weird not being able to see where I'm going to be next year. But Setareh19, you helped the visualization process.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

prettypithy

New

Post by prettypithy » Sun Jan 27, 2008 3:33 am

Anyone thinking of living in nearby areas of VA and commuting? I assume its cheaper.

setareh19

New

Post by setareh19 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:54 pm

actually you'd be surprised. northern VA is a pretty expensive area and not much cheaper than dc. plus the added commute and being out of dc on the weekends can be a hassle. your best bet is to find housing outside of the foggy bottom area, preferably somewhere closer downtown in up and coming neighborhoods. honestly, i think i am just going to put my name on the waiting list for aston and hope it works out. having cable, phone, utilities, and all that other crap included in the price is well worth living in a dorm for another year. although im not too keen on living alone and if the singles in the aston are as small as the singles in other GW dorms then its going to be a rough year :(

friaznatch13

New

Post by friaznatch13 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:59 am

For anyone that lives in the DC area right now, or has in the past... What's the situation with parking? It's ridiulously expensive to get a pasking pass, but like... are there parking garages or just lots to park in? I'm from Canada so I need to bring my car to get home I'm a homebody but the flights would be ridiculous... What should I do?

cosmo

New

Post by cosmo » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:01 pm

I will probably be going in the fall! Hi everybody!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2011 Forum”