Does need based aid exist? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Miracle

Silver

Re: Does need based aid exist?

Post by Miracle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:58 pm

bahama wrote:There is very detailed info about how HYS calculate "need" for need based aid on their financial aid websites. As others have mentioned, these 3 only give grants based on need.

Most other schools it is harder to tell what is what because they give aid based on a "combination of need and merit" which makes it pretty much a black box.
I'm back, and still see it the same way.

I'm saying HYS are not the only 3 schools that give need based aid. Bahama is saying "as others have mentioned, these 3 only give grants based on need."-this statement to me says that HYS are the only schools that give aid based on need alone without taking merit in to consideration, and since i'm saying HYS are not the only schools that give grants based on need, Michigan-Gorge Washington does too, his statement is in odds with my statement. :D

Am I missing something?
Last edited by Miracle on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rondemarino

Silver

Post by rondemarino » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:00 pm

^^ I admire your pluck.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:03 pm

Help me out. What am I not seeing here? :oops:

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Miracle wrote:Help me out. What am I not seeing here? :oops:
"These 3 only give grants based on need" = These three schools will exclusively give grants on a need basis. This is not saying anything about other schools, only what is exclusive behavior within these schools.

"Only these 3 give grants based on need" = Exclusively these three schools give grants on a need basis. This is saying the list is exclusive to these three schools and no other schools give need-based aid.

The placement of the word 'only' matters.

Genki

Bronze

Post by Genki » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:17 pm

I'm pretty sure that most schools provide need based aid.

The schools NEED to maintain their 25 and 75 percentile scores to make sure they don't drop in US News rankings, and based on that need they offer aid to students in order to entice them to come to their school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:19 pm

Genki wrote:I'm pretty sure that most schools provide need based aid.

The schools NEED to maintain their 25 and 75 percentile scores to make sure they don't drop in US News rankings, and based on that need they offer aid to students in order to entice them to come to their school.
Haha, +1. This pretty much sums it up.

Otherwise schools assume you can take out loans. I mean, since the loans are available you don't really need scholarships to finance your education, right?

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:34 pm

You are failing to see that things in the English language can be read multiple ways, and the way you read that post was not the way it was intended by the author. Nothing in his statement contradicted your assertion that Mich gives out need-based aid.

Miracle

Silver

Post by Miracle » Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:03 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
"These 3 only give grants based on need" = These three schools will exclusively give grants on a need basis. This is not saying anything about other schools, only what is exclusive behavior within these schools.

"Only these 3 give grants based on need" = Exclusively these three schools give grants on a need basis. This is saying the list is exclusive to these three schools and no other schools give need-based aid.

The placement of the word 'only' matters.
I see it now!!!

Thank you so much on the explanation. I finally got it!

rw2264

Bronze

Post by rw2264 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:21 pm

so glad i made about $5000 last year and my family's income has been 0 since december 2008... woo to my EFC being as close to 0 as possible

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”