Candidate Referral Service, Fee Waivers, Scholarships Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
jayausi

New

Candidate Referral Service, Fee Waivers, Scholarships

Post by jayausi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:32 pm

I've been receiving a lot of mail lately from schools offering to waive my application fee. (3.89/172) I was wondering if I will receive scholarship offers as well through the LSAC's CRS. Is it common/infrequent/unheard of for scholarships to be offered before an application is actually submitted?

LSATfromNC

Silver

Re: Candidate Referral Service, Fee Waivers, Scholarships

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:35 pm

No school that someone with your numbers should attend will offer you a scholarship with out applying. U of Phoenix commonly does this. W&L did this just the last week, however they are the first top 50 School I have heard of that did this.

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:35 pm

I don't know about other schools, but I've received scholarship offers from both Cooley and Seton Hall. Obviously that's not saying much.

jayausi

New

Post by jayausi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:53 pm

Thanks. I suspected the top schools probably wouldn't offer scholarships before an application was sent. I'm mostly concerned with the less prestigious schools who are more willing to offer incentives to attract stronger applicants. Is it common for those schools to offer scholarships in order to entice students with higher numbers to apply?

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:55 pm

Yes, but with your numbers you would get a full ride at a top 30 school, if not top 20. Why are you looking at the less prestigious schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jayausi

New

Post by jayausi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:58 pm

^^^Well, I didn't realize T20 would offer me a full ride. Thanks for pointing that out. At any rate, attending for free is definitely a bigger draw than reputation for me.

LSATfromNC

Silver

Post by LSATfromNC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:01 pm

jayausi wrote:^^^Well, I didn't realize T20 would offer me a full ride. Thanks for pointing that out. At any rate, attending for free is definitely a bigger draw than reputation for me.
I think you are on the wrong website :) j/k Good luck, I'm sure your cycle will turn out great.

jayausi

New

Post by jayausi » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:09 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
jayausi wrote:^^^Well, I didn't realize T20 would offer me a full ride. Thanks for pointing that out. At any rate, attending for free is definitely a bigger draw than reputation for me.
I think you are on the wrong website :) j/k Good luck, I'm sure your cycle will turn out great.
lol Good point. "Top Law Schools" haha. Well, I'm not saying prestige is not an issue. I would love to go T6 with a full ride. Perfect world scenario. If it came down to money vs. prestige however I would likely take the money, since the quality of an education really depends on the effort put into it and since after a few years of employment the reputation of the school attended becomes a secondary issue anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”