More FAFSA Questions Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
farmerjane

New

More FAFSA Questions

Post by farmerjane » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:23 pm

I have a couple more FAFSA questions:

1. I have $0 income. Should I still fill out federal tax forms (and report this on FAFSA). Is this necessary for the other financial aid documents for various schools?

2. Question 47j asks me to report "Money received, or paid on your behalf (e.g., bills), not reported elsewhere on this form" ... I just called the FAFSA office, and was told not to include tuition in this figure (only off-campus housing costs, etc.)... but the woman on the phone didn't seem very sure abuot that. So I browsed the web, and could only find this:

"Did your grandparents pay for college or expenses? Any money someone else is paying on your behalf goes here. Use common sense for this question - if someone paid rent for you, it should go here, but someone buying you a Big Mac and fries can safely be excluded. " (from: http://www.fafsaonline.com/fafsa-form/f ... step-2.php )

My parents paid for tuition. So now i'm rather unsure what to include in that figure. Any thoughts from those of you who have already filled out these forms? What did you include?

Thank you Top Law School posters.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Re: More FAFSA Questions

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:29 pm

It seems pretty clear: You have to report tuition paid by others on your behalf. The first part of that quote is, "Did your grandparents pay for college or expenses?"

farmerjane

New

Post by farmerjane » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:31 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:It seems pretty clear: You have to report tuition paid by others on your behalf. The first part of that quote is, "Did your grandparents pay for college or expenses?"
Well, yes it would be clear except that I specifically talked to a FAFSA representative who told me the exact opposite thing. Which is why I put it to these forums.

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:11 pm

Well, when in doubt, I'd go by the written guidelines and not what an employee told you (who sounded unsure and is something you cannot document).

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:47 pm

Question 47j
Most relevant (although not conclusive) FAFSA online info: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/fotw0910/help/fotw24c.htm#

However, like OP, I called FAFSA (1-800-4-FED-AID) and a nice "customer service" rep there told me that room and board may need to be counted, but tuition payments paid directly by parent(s) to the school do not count (loan payments paid by parents may be a different story).

I'm going to take the rep's word for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

huckabees

Bronze

Post by huckabees » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:24 pm

Great, thanks!

I had the same question. LOL re: the Big Mac example!

pasteurizedmilk

Bronze

Post by pasteurizedmilk » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:00 pm

I called twice. The first rep said don't include tuition payments, the second suggested I do included tuition payments.

Bureaucracies FTW!!!

YCrevolution

Gold

Post by YCrevolution » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 pm

pasteurizedmilk wrote:I called twice. The first rep said don't include tuition payments, the second suggested I do included tuition payments.

Bureaucracies FTW!!!
You should have stopped after the first one. :lol: I didn't include it (but did include other cash or cash-equivalent support), and nobody's complained yet.
If someone is paying rent, utility bills, etc., for you while you attend school, include the amount of that person's contributions, unless the person is your parent whose information is reported on this application.
I'm seeing a loophole here, too. If you report your parents' information (although it's not required for grad/prof students), I don't believe it affects your EFC since FAFSA will only look at your numbers. However, if you report your parent's information on FAFSA, you wouldn't have to include the amount in the cash support question since you'd have technically reported it.

Not that I'm recommending this (and I didn't do this).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”