Federal vs Private Loan Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
srg1027

New

Federal vs Private Loan

Post by srg1027 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:06 am

Going to law school in Fall 2019 (first year) and need a about a $10,000 loan for my first year. I know I need to fill out the fafsa to find out what type of loans I qualify for federally but I am wondering what the typical difference is when receiving a federal loan or a private loan (meaning interest rates, time to pay, deferrals). I am a 22 year old and have about 800 credit from two credit cards I have had for about 4 years. I am filling out the Fafsa now so I will be able to update on what I am offered, however right now am just wondering if somebody in my position would be better off with a government loan or private loan. Thank you!

nixy

Gold

Re: Federal vs Private Loan

Post by nixy » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:31 am

Government loan, because they have more protections than a private loan. If you go private you’re not eligible for income-based repayment plans or for public service loan forgiveness.

Government interest rates are normally higher than private, but if you end up in a high-paying job that allows you to pay your loans off quickly after you graduate, you can refinance the government loans at that time with a private lender to save money. But it’s safest not to do that until you know your employment and financial situation.

The Lsat Airbender

Gold

Re: Federal vs Private Loan

Post by The Lsat Airbender » Mon Aug 12, 2019 12:29 pm

Nixy is right. You can refinance into a private loan later (if that financial sense) but you can't get back into the federal-guarantee garden once you leave it, and you might really want those protections if and when shit happens.

Return to “Financial Aid”