Scholarship Neg. Question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JerseyState98

New

Scholarship Neg. Question

Post by JerseyState98 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:30 pm

So I have seen a lot of success of people negotiating on this thread.

However, I only got into 3 schools (CCN) with $ at Chi. Is it possible to negotiate that for anything at N or C? I assume I can't go back to Chi and say I have an offer at Columbia, give me more money?

Would love to get anything I could given my status but doesn't seem like I have much to work with.

Any advice would be appreciated.

cavalier1138

Re: Scholarship Neg. Question

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:18 pm

If you didn't apply to any other T13 schools, that'll make negotiation difficult. Still, you should be able to leverage money at Chicago for an offer at Columbia or NYU.

SlipperyKipper

Re: Scholarship Neg. Question

Post by SlipperyKipper » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:40 pm

JerseyState98 wrote:So I have seen a lot of success of people negotiating on this thread.

However, I only got into 3 schools (CCN) with $ at Chi. Is it possible to negotiate that for anything at N or C? I assume I can't go back to Chi and say I have an offer at Columbia, give me more money?

Would love to get anything I could given my status but doesn't seem like I have much to work with.

Any advice would be appreciated.
If you approach NYU or Columbia with your offer from Chicago, the worst that can happen is that they say no. Multiple $ offers would have been ideal, but I also approached negotiations with only one higher $ offer(from a similarly ranked school) to use as leverage for more money. The school I was negotiating with ended up matching the better offer. So it is possible, even with your lack of multiple offers, to get more money from NYU or Columbia using your offer from Chicago. Make a solid argument in your negotiation letter as to why you need more $, highlight the $ from Chicago, and attach the offer.

Return to “Financial Aid”