Any Yellow Ribbon Beneficiaries? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
pipedream

New

Any Yellow Ribbon Beneficiaries?

Post by pipedream » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:10 pm

Has anyone here personally used Yellow Ribbon benefits? I've looked up the VA tables on student/dollar caps per school, but I'm curious how reliably those numbers translate to attendance (i.e. whether anyone has been denied in a given semester, etc). If you have used it, how much of a pain was it to receive benefits, and were faculty members familiar with/helpful during the process?

I'm mostly looking into T-14 schools, but input from any is welcomed

nubcs

New

Re: Any Yellow Ribbon Beneficiaries?

Post by nubcs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:43 pm

It will probably depend on what school you end up going to. At HLS, it's pain-free. You just turn in a document to Financial Aid along with your GI Bill letter of eligibility and they take care of the rest. If I remember correctly, I think YR makes every T-14 school tuition-free.

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:35 pm

nubcs wrote:It will probably depend on what school you end up going to. At HLS, it's pain-free. You just turn in a document to Financial Aid along with your GI Bill letter of eligibility and they take care of the rest. If I remember correctly, I think YR makes every T-14 school tuition-free.

Can you add to anything about scholarships? It has yet to be answered if YR coupled with scholarships will give you a refund. Someone like me leaving the workforce after 9 years with the full GI bill still has to eat.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:48 pm

It's a school by school thing. You have to ask if the school is willing to reclassify scholarships as general or living expenses scholarships. I've heard that public schools are more likely to do it, for what it's worth. Just ask the school.

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:08 am

Dcc617 wrote:It's a school by school thing. You have to ask if the school is willing to reclassify scholarships as general or living expenses scholarships. I've heard that public schools are more likely to do it, for what it's worth. Just ask the school.

thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:51 am

Dcc617 wrote:It's a school by school thing. You have to ask if the school is willing to reclassify scholarships as general or living expenses scholarships. I've heard that public schools are more likely to do it, for what it's worth. Just ask the school.
Minor quibble... public schools are more likely to do this because they're not yellow ribbon schools. By law Michigan, Virginia, and Berkeley are fully covered by the VA even though their tuition costs are essentially the same as the private schools in the T14. This offers those schools a bit more leeway in doling out a few living expenses.

Mccoyology

New

Post by Mccoyology » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:40 am

AJordan wrote:
Minor quibble... public schools are more likely to do this because they're not yellow ribbon schools. By law Michigan, Virginia, and Berkeley are fully covered by the VA even though their tuition costs are essentially the same as the private schools in the T14. This offers those schools a bit more leeway in doling out a few living expenses.

UVA, and UM are both public institutions, its my understanding they are fully covered w/out YR. I could be wrong.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”