Yale Finaid to Leverage Chicago Scholarship? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
bubblebat

New

Yale Finaid to Leverage Chicago Scholarship?

Post by bubblebat » Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:01 am

Here is the situation: I have been accepted to Yale, Chicago, and Columbia. At Columbia, I received the Hamilton. At the same time, Chicago presented me with a much smaller scholarship opportunity and Yale gave me about ~30k in finaid (however I expect this amount to go down drastically next year, as my father is selling his home and will have a sharp increase in income). I also missed the window to apply for financial aid at Chicago because of a severe medical complication, so (as it stands) Yale would actually be cheaper for me than Chicago.

Now, before you all say "Just take the Hammy/Yale!", I have specific reasons why Chicago is my top choice that I don't want to hash out here. This is a question only about financial negotiations, after all.

Moving past that, here is what I want to know - Chicago has an online form for its scholarship negotiations. It asks for the amount of other "scholarship" offers you have received and evidence of that offer. While I will obviously be reporting the Hamilton, would it be appropriate to include my financial aid from Yale, as well?

(Also, I'm aware that it is pretty unlikely my award will change enough to shift the balance of this. But no shame in trying my hand, right?)

2LRising

New

Re: Yale Finaid to Leverage Chicago Scholarship?

Post by 2LRising » Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:20 am

Likely a long shot, but I'd definitely say it's appropriate to include it/if there's a space for an explanation, elaborate there.

Sacred Cow

New

Re: Yale Finaid to Leverage Chicago Scholarship?

Post by Sacred Cow » Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:24 pm

Shoot your shot

Return to “Financial Aid”