Waiting to hear from top choices, what to do about scholarships/finaid in the meantime? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
SailorMars

New

Waiting to hear from top choices, what to do about scholarships/finaid in the meantime?

Post by SailorMars » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:19 pm

Hello!

I received an acceptance from two schools at this point, neither my top choices. However, I'm thinking I should take advantage of scholarship and grant opportunities offered by one of my schools to submit ahead of deadlines in case I'm rejected or waitlisted from my top picks. In general, I just need help sorting through FAFSA/PLUS/scholarship process. It seems so much more complex than when I was in high school. Should I not go through what may be "wasted effort" and continue to wait to hear definitively from my top schools or start working on applications and grants to make sure I'm setup with one of my fallbacks?

Oneanddone?

New

Re: Waiting to hear from top choices, what to do about scholarships/finaid in the meantime?

Post by Oneanddone? » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:26 pm

SailorMars wrote:Hello!

I received an acceptance from two schools at this point, neither my top choices. However, I'm thinking I should take advantage of scholarship and grant opportunities offered by one of my schools to submit ahead of deadlines in case I'm rejected or waitlisted from my top picks. In general, I just need help sorting through FAFSA/PLUS/scholarship process. It seems so much more complex than when I was in high school. Should I not go through what may be "wasted effort" and continue to wait to hear definitively from my top schools or start working on applications and grants to make sure I'm setup with one of my fallbacks?
Be sure to submit all required scholarship forms for all schools that ask until you *know* you're in at another school and can afford to attend. You never know how your cycle will play out; don't take anything for granted.

SailorMars

New

Re: Waiting to hear from top choices, what to do about scholarships/finaid in the meantime?

Post by SailorMars » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:29 pm

Oneanddone? wrote:

Be sure to submit all required scholarship forms for all schools that ask until you *know* you're in at another school and can afford to attend. You never know how your cycle will play out; don't take anything for granted.
Thank you; that makes sense. On the PLUS side of things, I do have to wait until I commit to a school to receive that financing, correct?

Oneanddone?

New

Post by Oneanddone? » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm

SailorMars wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:

Thank you; that makes sense. On the PLUS side of things, I do have to wait until I commit to a school to receive that financing, correct?
No; you do not have to wait. Schools should send you scholarship/ financial aid offers before you make your decision. That way, you can be aware of the price tags. :)

SailorMars

New

Post by SailorMars » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Oneanddone? wrote:
SailorMars wrote:
Oneanddone? wrote:

No; you do not have to wait. Schools should send you scholarship/ financial aid offers before you make your decision. That way, you can be aware of the price tags. :)
Great; thank you for your advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”