How generous is Michigan's need-based aid? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
abg591

New

How generous is Michigan's need-based aid?

Post by abg591 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:21 am

Anyone have any familiarity with how Michigan's need-based aid works and how generous it is?

LSlyfe

Bronze

Re: How generous is Michigan's need-based aid?

Post by LSlyfe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:06 pm

abg591 wrote:Anyone have any familiarity with how Michigan's need-based aid works and how generous it is?
I emailed them in December and got the following response, "Need-based aid ranges from $10,000 to $30,000 per year, and those grants are for all three years. We do not reevaluate each year. You should complete the FAFSA if you haven't already done so, and our need-based aid application will be available in March on the Admitted Students site. Once a student has completed the need-based aid application, they will receive a response that they are either not eligible or might be eligible. If a student might be eligible, then they will be directed to complete the CSS Profile form. We typically review the Profile form within about a week of our receipt of it."

abg591

New

Post by abg591 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:08 pm

TLS wrote:
abg591 wrote:Anyone have any familiarity with how Michigan's need-based aid works and how generous it is?
I emailed them in December and got the following response, "Need-based aid ranges from $10,000 to $30,000 per year, and those grants are for all three years. We do not reevaluate each year. You should complete the FAFSA if you haven't already done so, and our need-based aid application will be available in March on the Admitted Students site. Once a student has completed the need-based aid application, they will receive a response that they are either not eligible or might be eligible. If a student might be eligible, then they will be directed to complete the CSS Profile form. We typically review the Profile form within about a week of our receipt of it."
Thank you. Sorry, it's a little confusing, do you know if they mean an award of $10,000 to $30,000 per year, or $10,000 to $30,000 spread out across all 3 years?

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 pm

abg591 wrote:
TLS wrote:
Thank you. Sorry, it's a little confusing, do you know if they mean an award of $10,000 to $30,000 per year, or $10,000 to $30,000 spread out across all 3 years?
I'm assuming per year, based on her saying per year but that could always be wrong. So my interpretation would be that a maximum award could amount to 90,000 total.

abg591

New

Post by abg591 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:44 pm

TLS wrote:
abg591 wrote:
TLS wrote:
I'm assuming per year, based on her saying per year but that could always be wrong. So my interpretation would be that a maximum award could amount to 90,000 total.
Oh god duh, sorry, I completely missed that somehow. Thanks for pointing out the obvious for me :)

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:48 pm

They don't give need-based aid, strictly speaking. They consider your need as a big bump in awarding merit aid, in my experience.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”