Apply for need-based? Is merit-only a thing? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
escapeffs

New

Apply for need-based? Is merit-only a thing?

Post by escapeffs » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:31 pm

It's my understanding that need-based aid is virtually non-existent (except at HYS). In any case, with my parents' net-worth I don't expect to receive any. I plan to fill out FAFSA so that I can take out loans (since my parents won't be helping). Do I even both filling out the schools' supplemental need-based applications which require my parents information (and hence make it so I won't receive any)? Is it unusual to check the box that says you only want to be considered for merit scholarships?

Follow up question: Some schools require parent info on the FAFSA to determine need-based grants. If I'm going the merit-only route, do I still need to include my parents' info on the FAFSA?

cavalier1138

Re: Apply for need-based? Is merit-only a thing?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:35 pm

You can always pursue merit-only aid. And yes, assuming you meet the criteria, you will still need to include parental info on your FAFSA.

lawboundsomeday

New

Post by lawboundsomeday » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:42 am

Actually, I think there are a number of schools beyond HYS that do need based aid. Columbia does for sure, and same with Berkeley and UCLA. I am pretty sure UVA does not, not sure about some of the others. I think beyond the top 20 no one does, except maybe some of the other UCs.

I think what's different about HYS is that they say they ONLY do need based. I think EVERYONE ELSE does merit based.

If you won't qualify in any event, then all this doesn't really matter, but merit only is definitely definitely a thing apart from HYS.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:35 am

lawboundsomeday wrote:Actually, I think there are a number of schools beyond HYS that do need based aid. Columbia does for sure, and same with Berkeley and UCLA. I am pretty sure UVA does not, not sure about some of the others. I think beyond the top 20 no one does, except maybe some of the other UCs.

I think what's different about HYS is that they say they ONLY do need based. I think EVERYONE ELSE does merit based.

If you won't qualify in any event, then all this doesn't really matter, but merit only is definitely definitely a thing apart from HYS.
The OP wasn't asking about whether non-HYS schools offer need-based aid at all, but you're way off.

Pretty much every school offers need-based aid. But the reality is that very few people actually qualify for it. So there's plenty of debate to be had about how effective these programs are, but they definitely aren't non-existent outside of HYS.

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
lawboundsomeday wrote:Actually, I think there are a number of schools beyond HYS that do need based aid. Columbia does for sure, and same with Berkeley and UCLA. I am pretty sure UVA does not, not sure about some of the others. I think beyond the top 20 no one does, except maybe some of the other UCs.

The OP wasn't asking about whether non-HYS schools offer need-based aid at all, but you're way off.

Pretty much every school offers need-based aid. But the reality is that very few people actually qualify for it. So there's plenty of debate to be had about how effective these programs are, but they definitely aren't non-existent outside of HYS.
I got into N, P, M, and G, and the only one among them to offer me need-based aid was GULC--as in, on my award notice, there is a pinpoint breakdown of the award by merit and need.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”