How does student income affect financial aid? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
moonstaff324

New

How does student income affect financial aid?

Post by moonstaff324 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 7:59 pm

Hi everyone, I recently debating whether or not to take a job before entering law school. I've already applied this admission cycle, but I was wondering how the income I'd make from my job would affect financial aid. My family as a whole has a very low income, and I'm expecting to get some aid at the schools I'm applying to. However, I'm not sure how the income I would make might affect financial aid. I know the student income is considered, but it seems like it's not considered as much because obviously the student cannot continue employment during law school. It seems to be the case that the students assets are fully considered but I'm just wondering how much the student's income is considered. Of course, I'm sure this varies school to school but any insight is appreciated.

Some extra details: I know only HYS are schools with significant aid. I am looking at these schools.
I'm only a year out of undergrad doing mostly volunteer work and deciding whether or not to take this job or not. Probably will not take if it substantially impacts aid. Thanks.

anacabana

New

Re: How does student income affect financial aid?

Post by anacabana » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:30 pm

moonstaff324 wrote:Hi everyone, I recently debating whether or not to take a job before entering law school. I've already applied this admission cycle, but I was wondering how the income I'd make from my job would affect financial aid. My family as a whole has a very low income, and I'm expecting to get some aid at the schools I'm applying to. However, I'm not sure how the income I would make might affect financial aid. I know the student income is considered, but it seems like it's not considered as much because obviously the student cannot continue employment during law school. It seems to be the case that the students assets are fully considered but I'm just wondering how much the student's income is considered. Of course, I'm sure this varies school to school but any insight is appreciated.

Some extra details: I know only HYS are schools with significant aid. I am looking at these schools.
I'm only a year out of undergrad doing mostly volunteer work and deciding whether or not to take this job or not. Probably will not take if it substantially impacts aid. Thanks.
+1

asheets2

New

Post by asheets2 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:55 am

I was wondering about student income too. If anyone knowledgeable could weigh in it'd be much appreciated.

Synapse2018

New

Post by Synapse2018 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:05 pm

Where it matters most is the ability to secure private loans. Law school is expensive and those with low incomes are often not approved without a co-signer that has a significant income which can often be difficult to secure.

Other than that, a low EFC will make you eligible for maximum federal grants and loans which won't even cover half of tuition sometimes, let alone COA. If you can't finance the difference, you're SOL. That's why it's important to go to the schools that give you the most aid. Because, although it's stigmatized and not spoken of much, "credit worthiness" which is often defined by your income, can keep you in or out of the school of your choice.

LSlyfe

Bronze

Post by LSlyfe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:07 pm

I worked after law school making about 45K/yr. my parents household income is about 65k, even with my income my EFC stayed very close to what it was when I was in undergrad and unemployed outside of internships and work-study and that was a low enough EFC to qualify for both need and merit based aid.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”