Can you survive on all loans? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mistakepluskeleven

New

Can you survive on all loans?

Post by mistakepluskeleven » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:17 pm

While a full-ride to a fabulous T14 is the dream, I am realistically looking at paying sticker or almost sticker price somewhere on full loans. I know that loans cover living expenses as well, but what about all the deposits and things that happen before you get that first check? How much do you need in the bank to get the ball rolling?

Also - can loans really cover all living expenses? Obviously not ideal to take out so much, but if you have no savings or parents to fall back on, can you survive until that summer associate check comes in?

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Can you survive on all loans?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:14 pm

Don't pay sticker.

But regardless, you'll probably have to take out loans for COL. How much you need before that is entirely dependent on whether you're moving, where you're going to be living, and your school's specific deposit fees.

kiklavan

Bronze

Post by kiklavan » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:18 am

I also want to know the answer to this. + How much CAN we take out in loans?

Experiment626

Silver

Post by Experiment626 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:59 pm

the most you will be approved for is the cost of tuition and COL for the time you're in school. From what I understand, not 100% sure on this, if you get a 10k scholarship for tuition, then it'll reduce what you can borrow by $10k because it reduces the your tuition cost while COL is the same. Probably the same with any stipend that could be offered.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:02 pm

Agree with cavalier, don't pay sticker.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”