high lsat score with low gpa, can still get scholarship? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
gitgudatlaw

New

high lsat score with low gpa, can still get scholarship?

Post by gitgudatlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:49 am

hi all,

I scored a 177 on the June LSAT (third try). I wont be able to go to law school this semester since I want to try and get into a tier 1 law school and the application deadlines are long past. What worries me is during my undergrad years, I really didn't give a shit and skipped, got Fs, etc.. My degree is in economics and I ended up getting a 2.46 GPA when I graduated. I know its my fault but there isn't much I can do. My last year of my undergrad was the best year in terms of grades but my transcript is pretty messy.

So with that being said... I am going to apply to some top schools. I used the LSAC lsat/gpa calculator to see what my chances are of getting into some top schools. I really want to go to UT law since I live in texas and the instate tuition is nice for me. I believe I have a 40% chance of getting in (according the the calculator).

My big question is.. will I be offered good scholarships? Since I want to try and go to tier 1 schools, even try to shoot for top 25, the out of state tuition is pretty expensive excluding living expenses and I am worried I won't be able to get offered any scholarships.

It seems that LSAT scores are correlated with scholarship awards but with my low gpa, do you all think I will be ok?
Last edited by gitgudatlaw on Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Re: high lsat score with low gpa, can still get scholarship?

Post by chargers21 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:32 am

Is that your degree gpa or your offical LSAC calculated one?
If it's official, you are a very extreme super splitter and will need to apply as early as possible. Apply to Texas, WashU STL, any other school in that range you'd consider attending, and then some regionals in places you'd be happy living after graduation. Your cycle will be unpredictable, apply to a lot of schools in places you would live long term

gitgudatlaw

New

Post by gitgudatlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:54 am

chargers21 wrote:Is that your degree gpa or your offical LSAC calculated one?
If it's official, you are a very extreme super splitter and will need to apply as early as possible. Apply to Texas, WashU STL, any other school in that range you'd consider attending, and then some regionals in places you'd be happy living after graduation. Your cycle will be unpredictable, apply to a lot of schools in places you would live long term

Im not sure what you mean by LSAC calculated one, my GPA on my transcript for my undergrad is 2.46

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am

gitgudatlaw wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Is that your degree gpa or your offical LSAC calculated one?

Im not sure what you mean by LSAC calculated one, my GPA on my transcript for my undergrad is 2.46
LSAC has a way of calculating your GPA that doesn't necessarily line up with the way your undergrad institution did. The formula is on the lsac website

Sploshy

New

Post by Sploshy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:44 am

If you only went to one school then that will probably be your LSAC calculated GPA, but if you went to multiple schools then LSAC will want all of your transcripts and it will calculate your cumulative GPA. Look around at https://os.lsac.org/Release/Apply/Trans ... ation.aspx to see the process.

Surprised you scored a 17X without even knowing about this part of the application yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rowdy

Bronze

Post by rowdy » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:27 am

Didn't you just say you got a 177 in another thread?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:46 pm

Sploshy wrote:If you only went to one school then that will probably be your LSAC calculated GPA, but if you went to multiple schools then LSAC will want all of your transcripts and it will calculate your cumulative GPA. Look around at https://os.lsac.org/Release/Apply/Trans ... ation.aspx to see the process.

Surprised you scored a 17X without even knowing about this part of the application yet.
Also depends on whether they have A+'s and punitive withdrawals sometimes, too. I'm guessing none of the former

gitgudatlaw

New

Post by gitgudatlaw » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:28 pm

rowdy wrote:Didn't you just say you got a 177 in another thread?

Oops meant 177, fixed, and yea I've been looking at super splitter threads and made my own in "what are my chances"

FluidMosaic

New

Post by FluidMosaic » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:08 pm

Keep negotiating with WashU until you have 50k a year.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:15 pm

In the T13, apply to Penn, UVA, NU, and Duke. Then apply to the rest of the top 20 or so, and to regional schools you'd want to attend.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”