Grad Plus vs Private Loans Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Studybuddy17

Bronze

Grad Plus vs Private Loans

Post by Studybuddy17 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:13 pm

I'm sure that this has been asked hundreds of times but I haven't been able to find clear, up-to-date information on this. As someone who does not currently plan on working in public interest, is there any benefit to financing COL with federal Grad Plus loans as opposed to private? This is besides the 20,500 that I will be taking out in Direct Unsubsidized loans.
Thanks!

Studybuddy17

Bronze

Re: Grad Plus vs Private Loans

Post by Studybuddy17 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:22 pm

studentloanplanner

New

Re: Grad Plus vs Private Loans

Post by studentloanplanner » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:47 pm

Studybuddy17 wrote:I'm sure that this has been asked hundreds of times but I haven't been able to find clear, up-to-date information on this. As someone who does not currently plan on working in public interest, is there any benefit to financing COL with federal Grad Plus loans as opposed to private? This is besides the 20,500 that I will be taking out in Direct Unsubsidized loans.
Thanks!
If you're going Big Law and could easily pay it off then yes I would. There are nuances like different origination fees with private lenders, but all are lower than Grad Plus.

Look to the APR as that would include all fees and charges and could be compared more easily to Grad Plus + the 4.27% origination fee.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”