Parents' taxes for Big Name Scholarships Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
maxtoncline

New

Parents' taxes for Big Name Scholarships

Post by maxtoncline » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:24 am

Hey y'all,
I was wondering if it was required of law school applicants to submit their parents' taxes for the big name scholarships at law schools like the Hamilton at Columbia, the Ruby at Chicago, etc.?

cavalier1138

Re: Parents' taxes for Big Name Scholarships

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:44 am

Since those are pure merit scholarships, I doubt it. But if you're still classified as a dependent and want to take out loans to cover your remaining expenses, then you might need to report them for FAFSA purposes.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:31 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Since those are pure merit scholarships, I doubt it. But if you're still classified as a dependent and want to take out loans to cover your remaining expenses, then you might need to report them for FAFSA purposes.
You'll probably have to report their tax information at some point after accepting the scholarship, but it won't be considered before offering you the scholarship.

Don't worry, your parents being rich (or alternatively being really poor) won't determine whether you are eligible for the big scholarships such as the Hamilton or Rubenstein.

clsturtle

New

Post by clsturtle » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:40 pm

You don't need to ever for the Hamilton even if you apply for loans to cover COA. You will need to do fasfa for summer funding but can opt to not give your parents info and you don't need to do tax returns for summer funding

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”