Delete Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
frozen_tundra9

New

Delete

Post by frozen_tundra9 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Delete
Last edited by frozen_tundra9 on Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bokampers

New

Re: Loan from govt or family?

Post by bokampers » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:10 pm

frozen_tundra9 wrote:Hi y'all

Trying to decide how to finance law school. I'm very fortunate to have a scholarship and stipend in a low CoL area so I'm only looking at about $10k/yr in loans for living expenses, which I originally planned to take out as unsubsidized Stafford loans. However, my parents recently offered to lend me that amount each year for law school, at no interest during school, and at 5% once I graduate, to be paid back as soon as I am able and before I buy anything major (ie house, new car, etc.). My family and I get on okay in general, and we had a similar agreement during undergrad, and that worked out well with me paying them back as quickly as possible in full, which is why I'm even considering borrowing this money from my family now. I expect to graduate $30k in debt in total for all three years, potentially even less than that depending on employment over summers and during 2 and 3L.

I believe I'd end up paying $38k if i took stafford loans (1% origination fees and 6.8% interest) versus my parent's $32.5k at 5% that doesn't start accruing until AFTER I graduate, assuming a 2 year repayment period. (If I did the math right...but let's just say there's a reason I didn't go into finance).

Sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I'm just trying to make sure I've fully thought this through. Is there any reason NOT to take my parents up on this?

Also, If I decline the Stafford loans now (my university just sent me the loan papers) and something happens and my parents can't/won't lend me the money, can I go back and get the same loan amount from the university? Also, I'm considering PI, but by no means set on it, but I'm assuming PLSF wouldn't even be that helpful given that the loan amount is only $30k, yes?

Kind of absurd that your own parents would charge you interest. I'd honestly take gov loans at that point b/c wtf.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:16 pm

bokampers wrote:Kind of absurd that your own parents would charge you interest. I'd honestly take gov loans at that point b/c wtf.
Dude, to each their own.

bokampers

New

Post by bokampers » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
bokampers wrote:Kind of absurd that your own parents would charge you interest. I'd honestly take gov loans at that point b/c wtf.
Dude, to each their own.
Not arguing that. But if it were me, I'd pay the extra 4.5k just to "cut the umbilical cord."

IDK ... if they are the type to charge their own child interest, then are they the type that believe they have a say in his/her matters?
I.e, the restrictions on not buying a house/car before paying them back in full is already an indication of that.
Last edited by bokampers on Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:26 pm

bokampers wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Dude, to each their own.
Not arguing that. But if it were me, I'd pay the extra 5k just to "cut the umbilical cord."

IDK ... but if they are the type to charge their own child interest, then are they the type that believe they have a say in his/her matters? I.e, the restrictions on not buying a house/car before paying them back in full is already an indication of that.
I don't think charging your kid interest indicates much of anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bokampers

New

Post by bokampers » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:27 pm

Guess we'll just chalk it up to different parenting styles

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:10 pm

I'm with bokampers. Would totally pay the extra $4K for the peace of mind.

Barrred

Bronze

Post by Barrred » Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:12 pm

Taking the loan from your parents is a no brainer. Keep the interest payments in the family rather than sending it to some big bank. (I also don't think its weird at all to charge your kid post-graduation interest.)

The only possible reason I can think of for taking the student loan route is if you have absolutely zero credit history, and want to take out a relatively small student loan so that you can establish good repayment history upon graduation. But it sounds like you don't have this problem.

rwhyAn

Bronze

Post by rwhyAn » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:51 pm

Go with family since the gov't loans are nondischargeable.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:30 am

I couldn't get my parents or family to loan me money even with interest. I presented it as an investment opportunity, they all declined. I would take the family money, because I personally prefer letting my parents profit off of me than some loan provider

AJordan

Silver

Post by AJordan » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:32 am

Any implied, *wink wink nudge nudge* "MERRY CHRISTMAS!" loan forgiveness a possibility? If that's like a somewhat extant possibility you should take it from the family.
Last edited by AJordan on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

frozen_tundra9

New

Post by frozen_tundra9 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Well this went somewhere I wasn't expecting. My parents are generally cool people and interest on loans is just how we do things in my family. I'm totally, absolutely fine with this, although YMMV obviously. Anyways, thanks for the comments, the point about using student loans to build credit was exactly what I was looking for as it was something I hadn't considered before. Thanks!

dannyswo

Gold

Post by dannyswo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:09 pm

frozen_tundra9 wrote:Well this went somewhere I wasn't expecting. My parents are generally cool people and interest on loans is just how we do things in my family. I'm totally, absolutely fine with this, although YMMV obviously. Anyways, thanks for the comments, the point about using student loans to build credit was exactly what I was looking for as it was something I hadn't considered before. Thanks!
Save the money, there are other ways to build credit.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

connordalto

Bronze

Post by connordalto » Thu Jun 22, 2017 1:40 pm

frozen_tundra9 wrote:Well this went somewhere I wasn't expecting. My parents are generally cool people and interest on loans is just how we do things in my family. I'm totally, absolutely fine with this, although YMMV obviously. Anyways, thanks for the comments, the point about using student loans to build credit was exactly what I was looking for as it was something I hadn't considered before. Thanks!
Ya, you can build credit in other ways w/out getting wrecked by a 8% interest rate that begins accruing on day one while your in school. Go with the fam.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:36 pm

Take your parent's money, no brainer.

Keep loan interest in the family, that's a good thing.

If you fall on rough times and have a good relationship with your parents, they will likely just forgive your debt and it'll be gone. A gov't loan will just sit there.

To the guy griping on moderate interest, money has a substantial opportunity cost attached to it. They're already losing money on this deal by only charging 5 % after three years when they could be earning more than that compounding from the start. This is more than a fair deal.

Building credit is whatever, you don't need student loans to build credit. You'll have lots of opportunities to build credit.

pyramidenergy888

New

Post by pyramidenergy888 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:40 pm

Borrow from your parents....

barReady

New

Post by barReady » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:40 pm

pyramidenergy888 wrote:Borrow from your parents....
Borrow from govt now. Your parents are there to help later if needed.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:42 pm

barReady wrote:
pyramidenergy888 wrote:Borrow from your parents....
Borrow from govt now. Your parents are there to help later if needed.
why did you necro this
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

studentloanplanner

New

Post by studentloanplanner » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:58 pm

One thing about your situation that I didn't see anyone mention is term life insurance to cover the 30k. If you're parents are flush enough to lend to you like no big deal then maybe not an issue for such a small amount. Disability insurance probably not a big deal either for that amount.

If that amount was larger that you were borrowing, say $100,000, and your parents' retirement plans would change if something happened to you (kinda morose but you have to think about everything), then you'd want to protect against that, since federal loans are forgiven in the event of death and disability.

Id echo the comments about being free from your parents especially if there's a significant other in the picture. If you're single and have a great relationship with them, then I'd say go for it and pay that debt back the fastest.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”