Living subsidies/housing Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
DorkothyParker

Bronze

Living subsidies/housing

Post by DorkothyParker » Fri May 19, 2017 10:17 am

It seems to me that a goodly number of law schools, and the ones I'm considering in states that meet other requirements for my family, are in very expensive cities.
Do schools ever have discounted housing for law students or offer living subsidies in scholarships?

I'm in a different place in that I'm married and our daughter will be in kindergarten the same year I would start school. I doubt I would be working much, if at all, during the school year and my husband does not have higher education and would make not enough to support a family of three.

I just want to know if this is even a possibility or if this is where I need to scrap the idea all together.

LawTweet

Bronze

Re: Living subsidies/housing

Post by LawTweet » Fri May 19, 2017 10:31 am

DorkothyParker wrote:It seems to me that a goodly number of law schools, and the ones I'm considering in states that meet other requirements for my family, are in very expensive cities.
Do schools ever have discounted housing for law students or offer living subsidies in scholarships?

I'm in a different place in that I'm married and our daughter will be in kindergarten the same year I would start school. I doubt I would be working much, if at all, during the school year and my husband does not have higher education and would make not enough to support a family of three.

I just want to know if this is even a possibility or if this is where I need to scrap the idea all together.
Some schools offer living stipends with their full ride scholarships but they are pretty rare and usually not super generous living stipends. You can absolutely take out federal loans though to cover cost of living. You can also seek out outside scholarships which can be used to fund living expenses.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Living subsidies/housing

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 19, 2017 10:39 am

Also, if you have dependents, schools can adjust your COL to take that into account if necessary. But that's still going to be loans. Stipends for living costs do exist but are pretty rare.

Return to “Financial Aid”