Scholarship Negotiation Help Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
carsondalywashere

Silver

Scholarship Negotiation Help

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 02, 2017 8:49 pm

Last edited by carsondalywashere on Mon May 08, 2017 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Scholarship Negotiation Help

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 02, 2017 8:54 pm

I don't know that there is much to be done here beyond what you've already done. NU isn't budging, WUSTL isn't budging. Vandy isn't budging. Your last ditch effort is a "will attend with $5k/year increase," but even that is pretty toothless when you've already deposited at both NU and WUSTL. You can always just sit on the second deposit for whichever you want more until later in the summer and see if your LSAT becomes increasingly desirable as the fall approaches. You'd have to withdraw from the other deposit for this to be allowed/would work, but that's probably your best bet to get nominal increases in scholarships. Unfortunately your negotiation efforts just have to come to an end.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 02, 2017 8:56 pm

UVA2B wrote:I don't know that there is much to be done here beyond what you've already done. NU isn't budging, WUSTL isn't budging. Vandy isn't budging. Your last ditch effort is a "will attend with $5k/year increase," but even that is pretty toothless when you've already deposited at both NU and WUSTL. You can always just sit on the second deposit for whichever you want more until later in the summer and see if your LSAT becomes increasingly desirable as the fall approaches. You'd have to withdraw from the other deposit for this to be allowed/would work, but that's probably your best bet to get nominal increases in scholarships. Unfortunately your negotiation efforts just have to come to an end.
WashU won't let me double deposit again, and NU only has one deposit deadline, so I will need to withdraw from one by June.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 02, 2017 9:02 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
UVA2B wrote:I don't know that there is much to be done here beyond what you've already done. NU isn't budging, WUSTL isn't budging. Vandy isn't budging. Your last ditch effort is a "will attend with $5k/year increase," but even that is pretty toothless when you've already deposited at both NU and WUSTL. You can always just sit on the second deposit for whichever you want more until later in the summer and see if your LSAT becomes increasingly desirable as the fall approaches. You'd have to withdraw from the other deposit for this to be allowed/would work, but that's probably your best bet to get nominal increases in scholarships. Unfortunately your negotiation efforts just have to come to an end.
WashU won't let me double deposit again, and NU only has one deposit deadline, so I will need to withdraw from one by June.
Sounds like your negotiations are done absent getting off a WL at somewhere competitive that could up your offer then (I'm open to hearing other strategies, but you've lost pretty much every negotiating chip I can think of off the top of my head).

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 02, 2017 9:41 pm

UVA2B wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
Sounds like your negotiations are done absent getting off a WL at somewhere competitive that could up your offer then (I'm open to hearing other strategies, but you've lost pretty much every negotiating chip I can think of off the top of my head).
The only other thing I can think of would be to cite offers other people with my numbers got? Though that could come across as entitled

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue May 02, 2017 9:50 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
The only other thing I can think of would be to cite offers other people with my numbers got? Though that could come across as entitled
It's probably less helpful to get the same poster's input on this, but I would not do this. I doubt any ADCOM would respond kindly to you effectively citing LSN to get more scholarships. It's a great online resource for law school applicants, but the ADCOMs actually making decisions would more than likely be annoyed by, "look at these other people with similar numbers! This guy had my LSAT and lower GPA but got $30k/year!" I know you'd be much smarter/more diplomatic than that, but you're leaving it open for them to interpret it that way, which won't help if you want the lines of communication to remain open.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 02, 2017 10:08 pm

UVA2B wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
It's probably less helpful to get the same poster's input on this, but I would not do this. I doubt any ADCOM would respond kindly to you effectively citing LSN to get more scholarships. It's a great online resource for law school applicants, but the ADCOMs actually making decisions would more than likely be annoyed by, "look at these other people with similar numbers! This guy had my LSAT and lower GPA but got $30k/year!" I know you'd be much smarter/more diplomatic than that, but you're leaving it open for them to interpret it that way, which won't help if you want the lines of communication to remain open.
Yeah, I figured that's how it'd be interpreted. I'll keep sending the occasional email. Maybe things will change by the end of the month, but I'm going to assume these are my final offers.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu May 18, 2017 9:34 pm

Is it okay if I directly email someone in the admissions office versus just communicating with the general admissions email address?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”