Asking for a specific increase in scholly in exchange for commitment Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Lawser24

New

Asking for a specific increase in scholly in exchange for commitment

Post by Lawser24 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:45 pm

Situation: Deposited at Tulane and Pepperdine on April 15th. I have decided I want to attend Tulane, but would really feel better with a small increase in scholarship.

Question: What is the protocol on emailing Tulane and saying "If Tulane is able to increase scholarship once more by X amount per year, I will withdraw from Pepperdine and commit to Tulane immediately."??

carsondalywashere

Silver

Re: Asking for a specific increase in scholly in exchange for commitment

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue May 02, 2017 7:54 pm

I tried this with a school, and it did not work.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 02, 2017 7:59 pm

Don't law schools hate it when you double-deposit? Does either Tulane or Pepperdine "ban" double deposits? Not that I think they can legitimately bar you from doing it, but if Tulane says "don't double deposit" saying that you double-deposited but will withdraw if they up your scholarship doesn't seem a very good way to go about it. In theory you've already committed to going to Tulane, so saying you will commit if they up your scholarship doesn't make a lot of sense.

Lawser24

New

Post by Lawser24 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:15 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:Don't law schools hate it when you double-deposit? Does either Tulane or Pepperdine "ban" double deposits? Not that I think they can legitimately bar you from doing it, but if Tulane says "don't double deposit" saying that you double-deposited but will withdraw if they up your scholarship doesn't seem a very good way to go about it. In theory you've already committed to going to Tulane, so saying you will commit if they up your scholarship doesn't make a lot of sense.
Neither have bans on double deposits. I have put down the non-binding first deposit at both schools that simply reserves my seat, not the binding second deposit. I understand that this is a real long shot, I just wanted to see if anyone had any success or advice on this situation.

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Wed May 03, 2017 5:19 pm

I sent in a scholarship negotiation asking for a specific dollar amount and it worked. They didn't give me the exact amount I asked for, but they did give me a bump up. FWIW I did do this pre-deposit. Good luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lawser24

New

Post by Lawser24 » Wed May 03, 2017 5:50 pm

lawpotato wrote:I sent in a scholarship negotiation asking for a specific dollar amount and it worked. They didn't give me the exact amount I asked for, but they did give me a bump up. FWIW I did do this pre-deposit. Good luck!
If you don't mind me asking, how did you phrase your request? I'm trying to sound grateful for the current offer, but also straightforward and honest that if it is increased I will commit...

lawpotato

Bronze

Post by lawpotato » Wed May 03, 2017 5:52 pm

Lawser24 wrote:
lawpotato wrote:I sent in a scholarship negotiation asking for a specific dollar amount and it worked. They didn't give me the exact amount I asked for, but they did give me a bump up. FWIW I did do this pre-deposit. Good luck!
If you don't mind me asking, how did you phrase your request? I'm trying to sound grateful for the current offer, but also straightforward and honest that if it is increased I will commit...
I'll PM you.

personofinterest

Bronze

Post by personofinterest » Wed May 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Always try to negotiate. No downside as long as you are honest and polite.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed May 03, 2017 7:27 pm

To be clear, I totally agree you should always negotiate; I just wasn't sure if your proposed tactic was the way to go. Didn't mean to suggest you shouldn't try in general, if it came across that way.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dasq5511

Bronze

Post by dasq5511 » Wed May 03, 2017 10:31 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:I tried this with a school, and it did not work.
same, but no way to know if it was just because I asked for too much.

Earlskies

Bronze

Post by Earlskies » Wed May 03, 2017 10:42 pm

I really think it's best to be tactful here. Your suggested strategy sounds a bit aggressive. If you haven't already, try to have a conversation about your particular financial position with financial aid over the phone. This should give you the chance to really sell your story and answer any questions they have.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed May 03, 2017 11:58 pm

dasq5511 wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:I tried this with a school, and it did not work.
same, but no way to know if it was just because I asked for too much.
I am a moron and asked for 2.5x my initial offer. I should do myself a favor and get a furniture store sales job or something before school starts lol

Lawser24

New

Post by Lawser24 » Thu May 04, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks for all the responses guys! And I to be honest, I'm only asking for a $5k/year bump, which is not too significant given the original offer, but would quite literally seal the deal for me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dasq5511

Bronze

Post by dasq5511 » Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 am

Lawser24 wrote:Thanks for all the responses guys! And I to be honest, I'm only asking for a $5k/year bump, which is not too significant given the original offer, but would quite literally seal the deal for me.
Honestly, I think it depends more on what your competing offers are than how much you ask for.

Lawser24

New

Post by Lawser24 » Thu May 04, 2017 5:07 am

dasq5511 wrote:
Lawser24 wrote:Thanks for all the responses guys! And I to be honest, I'm only asking for a $5k/year bump, which is not too significant given the original offer, but would quite literally seal the deal for me.
Honestly, I think it depends more on what your competing offers are than how much you ask for.
Got a competing offer from Pepperdine that is ~$12k/year better. Pepperdine is ranked a little lower, but I still see it as a peer school. And I just want Tulane to make the offers more competitive, not beat the Pepp offer.

jag13

Bronze

Post by jag13 » Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm

I sent a very similar request to my top choice prior to first deposits; they responded with an increase in my award (it wasn't the amount of increase I was hoping for) but it was still a nice bump and I ended up committing. Always negotiate, this school said they only will review once and negotiate once and I was able to do it beyond that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”