Applying for federal loans for third year? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
carsondalywashere

Silver

Applying for federal loans for third year?

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon May 01, 2017 10:43 pm

There's a law school I'm considering where as of right now, I'd only have to take out loans for my third year. However, if I'm able to secure an SA, I'd like to put that money towards that final year, which would obvisouly reduce the amount I need to take out. So, can I wait to apply for federal loans at that point in time?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Applying for federal loans for third year?

Post by UVA2B » Mon May 01, 2017 10:49 pm

You will apply for federal loans for each academic year. So you can pick if/when you fill out a FAFSA and request federal aid. You'll have to nail down your SA before applying for federal loans for 3L to accurately calculate, but that's how 2L SA hiring works to begin with, so no harm there.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Re: Applying for federal loans for third year?

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon May 01, 2017 10:50 pm

UVA2B wrote:You will apply for federal loans for each academic year. So you can pick if/when you fill out a FAFSA and request federal aid. You'll have to nail down your SA before applying for federal loans for 3L to accurately calculate, but that's how 2L SA hiring works to begin with, so no harm there.
Nice; thank you!

Return to “Financial Aid”