Saving Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lochnessrunning

New

Saving

Post by lochnessrunning » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:42 pm

Hi

poptart123

Silver

Re: Saving money to avoid debt before heading to law school - The Tropic Mango Path

Post by poptart123 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:45 pm

What type of job do you recommend that allows one to do this?

cavalier1138

Re: Saving money to avoid debt before heading to law school - The Tropic Mango Path

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:53 pm

Does part of this "path" involve scamming prospective law students into buying your stupid fucking book in order to increase your income to the point that you don't have to pay for law school?

lochnessrunning

New

Post by lochnessrunning » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:06 pm

poptart123 wrote:What type of job do you recommend that allows one to do this?
I first focused on the type of company, rather than the type of job because in today's world so many jobs can be done remote. And I've found that many startup companies, particularly involved in tech, with a low number of employees tend to accommodate this lifestyle at a greater rate than, say, corporations. For instance if you want to move to Perú, you might pitch an American startup that's looking to generate business in Perú.

As for specific jobs, any job where the majority of the work is done on the computer is a great candidate. And most jobs fit this description—be it sales, marketing, operations, customer support, content creation, software development, and on.
Last edited by lochnessrunning on Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lochnessrunning

New

Post by lochnessrunning » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:09 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Does part of this "path" involve scamming prospective law students into buying your stupid fucking book in order to increase your income to the point that you don't have to pay for law school?
What book might you be referring to? I don't have a book, just an idea backed by experience. And the idea is simply: Save money before heading to law school. And earning USD while living in a low cost of living country is one such effective way to build up your savings. And thousands of people are fending off debt this way.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

confused_0L

New

Post by confused_0L » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:28 pm

I did this for all of 2016 in Latin America, as well. I have 4 years of experience in web development/professional copywriting, so I already had a steady position as a 1099 employee prior to my move. I was actually able to double my monthly income doing consulting/translating work with a mining company (think big $$).

I was unlike most people though in the fact that I had an existing position as an independent contractor with a tech company prior to my move. In other words, I had this all planned out from the beginning and already had an existing means to make money. The problem is that most K-JD's are in a totally different boat. I would 100% recommend living/working abroad to anyone, but it's difficult to recommend this strategy as a reliable way to save money for law school. There are a few reasons for that:

(1) Most people (especially most K-JDS's) haven't established a level of trust with a business that needs outside contracting work. I mean, most employers would agree that it seems super sketchy to say, "yeah we just hired this part-time contractor we've never met from Rio de Janeiro." If you don't have an existing contact for remote work opportunities, then a company isn't going to trust handing over private client data, business records, etc. to some random person on another continent.

(2) Most outside contractor work is part-time. There's no chance a company you've never met face-to-face is going to give you a full slate of 40 hr work weeks. In fact, they'll probably give you assignments on a 'per project' basis. Think 10-15 hrs per week.

Overall, I like where your head is at. But I have tons of experience doing exactly this. It's a great idea, but ONLY for people that have those existing connections with US companies.

YBF-W

New

Post by YBF-W » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:37 pm

confused_0L wrote:I did this for all of 2016 in Latin America, as well. I have 4 years of experience in web development/professional copywriting, so I already had a steady position as a 1099 employee prior to my move. I was actually able to double my monthly income doing consulting/translating work with a mining company (think big $$).

I was unlike most people though in the fact that I had an existing position as an independent contractor with a tech company prior to my move. In other words, I had this all planned out from the beginning and already had an existing means to make money. The problem is that most K-JD's are in a totally different boat. I would 100% recommend living/working abroad to anyone, but it's difficult to recommend this strategy as a reliable way to save money for law school. There are a few reasons for that:

(1) Most people (especially most K-JDS's) haven't established a level of trust with a business that needs outside contracting work. I mean, most employers would agree that it seems super sketchy to say, "yeah we just hired this part-time contractor we've never met from Rio de Janeiro." If you don't have an existing contact for remote work opportunities, then a company isn't going to trust handing over private client data, business records, etc. to some random person on another continent.

(2) Most outside contractor work is part-time. There's no chance a company you've never met face-to-face is going to give you a full slate of 40 hr work weeks. In fact, they'll probably give you assignments on a 'per project' basis. Think 10-15 hrs per week.

Overall, I like where your head is at. But I have tons of experience doing exactly this. It's a great idea, but ONLY for people that have those existing connections with US companies.
Sounds like an a great idea, but I think this is exactly why this didn't seem entirely reasonable for me. OP - Can you break down some tangible steps you took to get your job, which currently enables you to be 100% capable of paying the 250k+ cost of law school without touching loans. Also, can you talk about your day to day life and what working remotely in a different country looks like?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”