Negotiating After Deposit Deadline Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
TLS_Dreamer

New

Negotiating After Deposit Deadline

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:05 pm

UVA told several students who tried to negotiate that they don't negotiate, but that funds may free up after the deposit deadline.

The deposit deadline is tomorrow, April 18, so how does one negotiate after the deposit deadline? I can still deposit at NYU and Duke as late as Saturday, but after that I'll have no leverage, right?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Re: Negotiating After Deposit Deadline

Post by KunAgnis » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:07 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:UVA told several students who tried to negotiate that they don't negotiate, but that funds may free up after the deposit deadline.

The deposit deadline is tomorrow, April 18, so how does one negotiate after the deposit deadline? I can still deposit at NYU and Duke as late as Saturday, but after that I'll have no leverage, right?
That's right. I guess you could force their hand and day you just won't attend any law scool but that seems like a bad play. So yeah, you'd need competing offers to negotiate with UVA. Good luck!

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:08 pm

KunAgnis wrote:
TLS_Dreamer wrote:UVA told several students who tried to negotiate that they don't negotiate, but that funds may free up after the deposit deadline.

That's right. I guess you could force their hand and day you just won't attend any law scool but that seems like a bad play. So yeah, you'd need competing offers to negotiate with UVA. Good luck!
Thanks! So I should ask for an extension from NYU and Duke and then negotiate by saying "well maybe I'll still go to one of those places"?

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:29 am

Since UVA'a deadline is tomorrow I think you have a small window before having to tell Duke and NYU anything. Then come Friday you could try and ask for an extension. At the worst, if you can't get them to extend, deposit with at least one of them. You need a back up plan in case UVA doesn't pan out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”