Columbia vs. Duke Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.

Columbia vs. Duke

Columbia (Loans of 191k)
85%
Duke (Loans of 158k)
13%
Neither :(
2%

Total votes: 60

Dr_OIT

New

Columbia vs. Duke

Post by Dr_OIT » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:44 pm

[...]
Last edited by Dr_OIT on Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 5 times in total.

jpark86

New

Re: Columbia 90k vs. Duke 105k

Post by jpark86 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:53 pm

First of all, congratulations on these amazing financial aid offers!

From what you described above, you seem keen on getting into Big Law? If that's the case, I highly suggest Columbia. Because 80% of the people end up working for NYC law firms, CLS' career services office is well known for bending over backwards to make sure the students end up at the firms they want. Even people around the median at CLS end up at decent V25 firms. On the other hand, it maybe tougher landing a better job at Duke at median. But that being said, my friend at Duke who was just above median is doing IP law here in the city. So I guess there is no set formula per say...

But in summary, if you want more of a "safety net," choose CLS. If not, take the Duke offer with more $$$.

Once again congrats!!

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:18 pm

jpark86 wrote:First of all, congratulations on these amazing financial aid offers!

From what you described above, you seem keen on getting into Big Law? If that's the case, I highly suggest Columbia. Because 80% of the people end up working for NYC law firms, CLS' career services office is well known for bending over backwards to make sure the students end up at the firms they want. Even people around the median at CLS end up at decent V25 firms. On the other hand, it maybe tougher landing a better job at Duke at median. But that being said, my friend at Duke who was just above median is doing IP law here in the city. So I guess there is no set formula per say...

But in summary, if you want more of a "safety net," choose CLS. If not, take the Duke offer with more $$$.

Once again congrats!!
Thanks! Yes, whether biglaw or midlaw, the goal is to go into the private sector. *Maybe* a clerkship, but it's unlikely I'd go into PI.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:35 pm

since you love Columbia, Columbia. the COA difference isn't big enough to where going to C would be a dumb move.

palalc

New

Post by palalc » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:52 pm

Can I ask, stats?

I'm eagerly awaiting my Columbia aid offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SUPERCHEF

New

Post by SUPERCHEF » Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:48 am

palalc wrote:Can I ask, stats?

I'm eagerly awaiting my Columbia aid offer.
Curious about this as well.

Congrats on the amazing offer, btw! Personally I think you'd be completely justified in taking Columbia over Duke, their biglaw placement is unreal. I've known a few students who were unhappy socially there but if you visited and you liked it, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work out well for you.

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:16 am

Columbia, unless Atlanta BL is your target….Duke would save you some tuition debt and provide you a significant COL upside.

Dr_OIT

New

Post by Dr_OIT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:20 am

Toni V wrote:Columbia, unless Atlanta BL is your target….Duke would save you some tuition debt and provide you a significant COL upside.
Thanks, Toni. Atlanta BL is definitely *not* my target :). I grew up in the South and don't really anticipate heading back. I currently live in NYC, and the goal is to practice in NYC (at least at the start).

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Columbia. For your goals, especially Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”