Negotiating Scholarship w/o Leverage Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tinyvessels

Bronze

Negotiating Scholarship w/o Leverage

Post by tinyvessels » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:31 pm

I ended up getting into one of my reach schools, and really wasn't expecting to based on my numbers. Expectedly, I didn't receive any scholarship offer from the school. There is, however, a chance that more funds will be given out within the next month or two as people accept/decline their offers of admission.

I wanted to ask if there was potentially anything I could do to up my chances in possibly getting money from them as more funds open up? Like, a LOCI, but for scholarship money lol.

This is def. my top choice school, and even minimal money would make accepting the offer worthwhile to me.

PDX4343

Silver

Re: Negotiating Scholarship w/o Leverage

Post by PDX4343 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:39 am

Do you have any scholarship offers at lower-ranked schools? If so, I would send those over and see if they're willing to close the gap. It may not be likely to succeed, but it's certainly worth a shot. If you don't have any scholarship offers, use your acceptance to the presumably higher-ranked school to negotiate an offer out of the lower-ranked schools and then go back to the higher-ranked school with the new offer(s).

Some schools are more open to negotiation than others, so your success or failure will likely have a lot to do with what school you're looking at.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:58 am

PDX4343 wrote:Do you have any scholarship offers at lower-ranked schools? If so, I would send those over and see if they're willing to close the gap. It may not be likely to succeed, but it's certainly worth a shot. If you don't have any scholarship offers, use your acceptance to the presumably higher-ranked school to negotiate an offer out of the lower-ranked schools and then go back to the higher-ranked school with the new offer(s).

Some schools are more open to negotiation than others, so your success or failure will likely have a lot to do with what school you're looking at.
Thanks for the response. Yes, I have gotten scholarship offers from literally every school except this one lol. I ended drafting a letter to send to them using some of my lower-ranked offers. They're not peer schools in terms of numbers, but they are within the same region, so I'm just going to give it go since I don't have much to lose at this point.

The lower ranked school already gave me a six figure number, and gave me an increase of a couple thousand on top of that after the initial offer, so I doubt the new acceptance would do much.

LHS17

Bronze

Post by LHS17 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:58 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
PDX4343 wrote:Do you have any scholarship offers at lower-ranked schools? If so, I would send those over and see if they're willing to close the gap. It may not be likely to succeed, but it's certainly worth a shot. If you don't have any scholarship offers, use your acceptance to the presumably higher-ranked school to negotiate an offer out of the lower-ranked schools and then go back to the higher-ranked school with the new offer(s).

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have gotten scholarship offers from literally every school except this one lol. I ended drafting a letter to send to them using some of my lower-ranked offers. They're not peer schools in terms of numbers, but they are within the same region, so I'm just going to give it go since I don't have much to lose at this point.

The lower ranked school already gave me a six figure number, and gave me an increase of a couple thousand on top of that after the initial offer, so I doubt the new acceptance would do much.
If you plan to practice in the region of your lower-ranked offers, that might enhance credibility. Of course, you would need to spin why you still prefer higher-ranked school.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Tue Apr 11, 2017 4:54 pm

Yes, I plan to practice and only practice in the region where my lower ranked schools are....which also happens to be where my reach school is lol. So, it does make sense in regard to location and adds credibility. I covered my reasoning for why I wanted the higher ranked school in my letter.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”