Negotiating UCLA Help vs. LMU/UCI/GW Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
joshtrxn

New

Negotiating UCLA Help vs. LMU/UCI/GW

Post by joshtrxn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:44 pm

Entering 1L here asking for help to negotiate scholarship with UCLA Law. I was admitted two weeks ago and was given notice of a need-based award in the amount of only $7,500, with no sign of merit-based awards. The SIR date is coming next Friday, and with UCLA being my top choice, Ir eally need help negotiating and asking for more funding assistance. My parents and I can definitely in no way afford UCLA, and FAFSA isn't really helping us here either.

My other offers include:

Full rides to LMU, Chapman, and USD
A $45,000 merit scholarship award from UCI
A $60,000 merit scholarship award from George Washington

How do I approach this in the smartest way and how much should I be asking for (realistically)? Is this an email or in person? What awards have the most leverage in this situation? UCLA is my dream and I really want to work my best in not giving that goal up. Thanks all.

PDX4343

Silver

Re: Negotiating UCLA Help vs. LMU/UCI/GW

Post by PDX4343 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:29 pm

Email Dean Schwartz and ask to be considered for a higher scholarship. Include the offers you're considering and let him know that UCLA is your top choice but it has to make sense financially. Ultimately, if you don't have better offers from higher-ranked schools they probably won't increase your award by too much. Worth giving it a shot though.

BobBoblaw

Bronze

Post by BobBoblaw » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:37 pm

I don't think UCLA would consider any of those peer schools. I doubt they will offer you much more based on those, but I suppose it is worth a try.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:37 pm

BobBoblaw wrote:I don't think UCLA would consider any of those peer schools. I doubt they will offer you much more based on those, but I suppose it is worth a try.
UCI might be a peer school for them. But yeah, they won't care about the others.

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
BobBoblaw wrote:I don't think UCLA would consider any of those peer schools. I doubt they will offer you much more based on those, but I suppose it is worth a try.
UCI might be a peer school for them. But yeah, they won't care about the others.
UCI isn't a peer school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:50 pm

Itiswritten wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
UCI isn't a peer school.
It's in the same rankings bracket at USC, and it's gotten a good reputation fast. Why wouldn't it be considered a peer school for the SoCal region?

I have no idea whether UCLA considers it a peer school, but it's a little presumptuous to say that they objectively aren't.

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
UCI isn't a peer school.
It's in the same rankings bracket at USC, and it's gotten a good reputation fast. Why wouldn't it be considered a peer school for the SoCal region?

I have no idea whether UCLA considers it a peer school, but it's a little presumptuous to say that they objectively aren't.
What makes them a peer school aside from the fact that they're both in California?

Employment rates? Nope.
Median Lsat/Gpa? Nope.
Median Salary upon graduation? Nope.

Please, enlighten

joshtrxn

New

Post by joshtrxn » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Itiswritten wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
UCI isn't a peer school.

Let's suppose UCLA doesn't match UCI's offer. Is going to UCLA with near sticker still a better option?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:43 pm

joshtrxn wrote: Let's suppose UCLA doesn't match UCI's offer. Is going to UCLA with near sticker still a better option?
No. Unless your goals are to work in a local small firm or local government, none of these schools are good choices at the current price.

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Wed Apr 05, 2017 12:59 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
joshtrxn wrote: Let's suppose UCLA doesn't match UCI's offer. Is going to UCLA with near sticker still a better option?
No. Unless your goals are to work in a local small firm or local government, none of these schools are good choices at the current price.
I agree with this, although I would go further and to see that even working at a local small firm would likely not be worth the current cost.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”