TTTT Scholly Question Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
waldorf

Gold

Re: TTTT Scholly Question

Post by waldorf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:28 pm

Assuming you aren't a troll:

OP, the reality of the situation is that you will be taking out - if everything is debt financed - at least 250k for a 25% chance of ever obtaining ANY full-time legal employment, let alone a job that you are even interested in. Six figure debt is SHACKLES. You have to understand what you are getting yourself into. Please, I beg of you, do not go to Cooley at that price (really, not even with a full ride). There will be at least 500 people in your class. You can't count on being at the very top, which is what will be required of you to even have a smidgen of a chance at legal employment. LSAT score is a huge predictor of 1L performance, and you got a 138. You will be competing with students with much higher LSAT scores and more to lose, so if you think you can hustle to the top of you class, remember that EVERYONE knows their employment odds at Cooley and therefore, EVERYONE will be fighting to be at the very top of the class. The odds are not in your favor.

TLS posters, admittedly, can be harsh. However, it's because of the frustration people have with posters who refuse to listen to any advice that doesn't match their already made decision. Also, remember that many of the posters here made decisions that they regret - not retaking, taking out too much debt, etc. and are either in a situation themselves where they didn't attend the best school they could and don't have the job they want (or any job at all) or know many attorneys in one of those situations. The people here know what they are talking about.

I am not here to make fun of you or Cooley. I am genuinely, as most of the other posters are, trying to keep you from making a LIFE RUINING decision. Please, do not go to law school if this is your only option. Even improving to a 150 (which is very attainable with some effort - even though you should at least be shooting for a 160 and preferably a 165) will drastically increase your odds of ever being a practicing attorney. I took a year off to retake and it changed my life. Know that I cried for months and was absolutely miserable because all I've ever wanted to do was be a lawyer and putting a year off put a ratchet into my well thought out, type A personality plans. Taking a year off ended up being the best thing for me, and I'm so glad I did it, no matter how miserable I was at the time about having to make that choice. I know it's not ideal but it is simply what you are going to have to do if you'd like to be a practicing attorney. Applications for next fall are closed almost everywhere, and there's zero chance of scholarship money even if you could get accepted somewhere at this point.

I have a family member who was a professor at a well known regional that, for many reasons, became a TTTT. I know what many students who enrolled thinking the school was what it was in 2005 went through to find any kind of full time employment, let alone a legal job, and definitely not what they dreamed of doing when they enrolled in law school. The posters here KNOW what they are talking about. Look past some people's brashness and realize that they are trying to help you.
Last edited by waldorf on Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bitter_melon

Bronze

Post by bitter_melon » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:29 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:Where can I post without people wrongfully assuming I'm a troll so I can have my questions answered
If you don't want people to think that you're a troll, post your Cooley admittance letter. Redact your name and address.

Johnnybgoode92

Silver

Post by Johnnybgoode92 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:33 pm

bwaldorf wrote:Assuming you aren't a troll:

OP, the reality of the situation is that you will be taking out - if everything is debt financed - at least 250k for a 25% chance of ever obtaining ANY full-time legal employment, let alone a job that you are even interested in. Six figure debt is SHACKLES. You have to understand what you are getting yourself into. Please, I beg of you, do not go to Cooley at that price (really, not even with a full ride). There will be at least 500 people in your class. You can't count on being at the very top, which is what will be required of you to even have a smidgen of a chance at legal employment. LSAT score is a huge predictor of 1L performance, and you got a 138. You will be competing with students with much higher LSAT scores and more to lose, so if you think you can hustle to the top of you class, remember that EVERYONE knows their employment odds at Cooley and therefore, EVERYONE will be fighting to be at the very top of the class. The odds are not in your favor.

TLS posters, admittedly, can be harsh. However, it's because of the frustration people have with posters who refuse to listen to any advice that doesn't match their already made decision. Also, remember that many of the posters here made decisions that they regret - not retaking, taking out too much debt, etc. and are either in a situation themselves where they didn't attend the best school they could and don't have the job they want (or any job at all) or know many attorneys in one of those situations. The people here know what they are talking about.

I am not here to make fun of you or Cooley. I am genuinely, as most of the other posters are, trying to keep you from making a LIFE RUINING decision. Please, do not go to law school if this is your only option. Even improving to a 150 (which is very attainable with some effort - even though you should at least be shooting for a 160 and preferably a 165) will drastically increase your odds of ever being a practicing attorney. I took a year off to retake and it changed my life. Know that I cried for months and was absolutely miserable because all I've ever wanted to do was be a lawyer and putting a year off put a ratchet into my well thought out, type A personality plans. Taking a year off ended up being the best thing for me, and I'm so glad I did it, no matter how miserable I was at the time about having to make that choice. I know it's not ideal but it is simply what you are going to have to do if you'd like to be a practicing attorney. Applications for next fall are closed almost everywhere, and there's zero chance of scholarship money even if you could get accepted somewhere at this point.

I have a family member who was a professor at a well known regional that, for many reasons, became a TTTT. I know what many students who enrolled thinking the school was what it was in 2005 went through to find any kind of full time employment, let alone a legal job, and definitely not what they dreamed of doing when they enrolled in law school. The posters here KNOW what they are talking about. Look past some people's brashness and realize that they are trying to help you.
Last edited by Johnnybgoode92 on Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:
Thanks for the useful and thorough advice given kindly. I'm done posting. I won't be going to Cooley
I really do hope you decide to retake. Any law school that accepts you with a 138 (and I mean this in the nicest way possible) is not worth going to as they all have employment stats of 25-40% chance of finding full-time legal work. Even if you have six figures in cash sitting around, you could potentially be wasting three years of your life.

Improving to even a 150 (although, you should shoot for much higher) wouldn't be hard with some work (especially logic games, which are incredibly easy to learn with a good amount of effort) and would double your chances of finding full-time, legal employment after law school. If you would like advice on retaking the LSAT or what to do during a gap year, feel free to PM me. Assuming you aren't a troll (I genuinely don't think that you are), I'd be happy to help.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:29 pm

Johnnybgoode92 wrote:None of you answered my questions. I've read all the Cooley threads and I'm still going. Cooleytruthsayer really doesn't make it seem bad. All I'm asking is how much should I ask Form and what school she to leverage w? Charlotte I could use private loans if t came to that.
Just go to Cooley. I guess somebody has to go there and you seem like the ideal candidate. You do you! Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”