85k for BC? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
gtmort

New

85k for BC?

Post by gtmort » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:42 pm

I want to practice in Massachusetts, its where my family has always been located.165 lsat 3.96 gpa. BC offered me 99k of scholarships. Which would place me at about 85k of debt including living expenses. BU offered by 90k. I dont see any reason not to choose the higher scholarship school here since they are very close to eachother in employment stats. So my question is, do you think BC is worth 85 in debt? Would it even be possible to negotiate BU to match BC's offer? I have no experience in negotiation .

UVA2B

Gold

Re: 85k for BC?

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:50 pm

What are your goals for the degree? You seem to be Boston-centric, which is good. BC is (arguably) the second best option for ending up in Boston along with BU. There seems to be some dissension about non-HYS T13 placement in Boston, so I'll accept T13 have equal placement power in Boston (I will always believe T13 at median will outperform regional power at slightly above median, but we're talking pointless gradations at that point).

Assuming COL is covered, $85k is a reasonable amount for BC, so long as your goals and expectations align.

Moneytrees

Silver

Post by Moneytrees » Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:22 am

I think it's a fairly reasonable level of debt (even though it's still a lot). BC has strong numbers in Boston, it often outperforms BU.

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:54 pm

To address the negotiation portion, shoot BU finaid an email, attaching your BC offer, and asking if there is any way they would be able to increase your scholarship as you'd really like to go to BU, yada, yada, yada. They may or may not negotiate, but it never hurts to find out. Leaving money on the table is a bad idea and the two are usually pretty open to negotiating with each other.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”