Best path for negotiating? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
heyitslj

New

Best path for negotiating?

Post by heyitslj » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:18 pm

Here's where I am at so far:

LSAT: 171; GPA: 3.58
Medium softs
URM - PR

Cardozo: Full
Brooklyn: Full
St. John's: Full
Cornell: No aid, can file for reconsideration with other offers
NYU: $90k
Duke: Accepted, aid pending
Georgetown: Accepted, aid pending
UPenn: Pending
Columbia: Pending
Harvard: Pending
Yale: Pending
Fordham: Pending

I applied relatively late in the cycle, went complete most places later in January.

Currently what my plan was to wait on GULC and DUke to make their offers, which should come in the next week or so. Then I would take these along with the NYU, Cardozo, and St. John's offers to Cornell for reconsideration and finally present their final offer along with GULC and Duke to NYU to see if they could raise their offer at all. If acceptances came with money from any of the schools I am waiting on I would include those as well.

Anyone have any insight or advice as to how they would go about it or what you think of my current game plan?

Thanks!

cavalier1138

Re: Best path for negotiating?

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:53 am

Don't bother presenting the Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn, or St. John's offers to any T14 schools. They won't be effective. Your NYU offer is good leverage for everyone else; it should certainly get Cornell to offer you something. Just make sure you're using peer schools to negotiate with each other. NYU likely doesn't consider Cornell a peer, but a potential Columbia or Penn offer might be effective in bringing NYU up.

Also, consider your career goals. If you're looking for PI work, look at the schools' LRAP programs in addition to their scholarship offers.

Return to “Financial Aid”