Retake LSAT After Accepted ED for Scholarship or is it Over? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Bunbury

New

Retake LSAT After Accepted ED for Scholarship or is it Over?

Post by Bunbury » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:31 pm

I just went to throw out all my LSAT prep stuff and wanted to triple check I shouldn't take the LSAT a second time.

I'm accepted to GULC ED and thrilled as I'm from the DC area and want to stay there for personal reasons. I know a lot of you are not GULC fans but let's leave that for another thread :D.

I was a splitter with GPA <25th and LSAT >75th but not a >75th ++. I know I have room for improvement on the LSAT as I straight up guessed the last game and messed up the rules on the second to last game. My LR and RC are strong and I can go near perfect on them.

The question is would GULC care to give me anything more if I really nailed the LSAT in June? I haven't gotten any money from them but did respond to the feeler they sent out for merit aid on Friday. Regardless of how much they give me (if anything), I want to know if the June LSAT could increase that number?

Thoughts? Anyone with experience in this position?

cavalier1138

Re: Retake LSAT After Accepted ED for Scholarship or is it Over?

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:51 pm

Georgetown explicitly states that you won't receive any scholarships if you're accepted ED, which is one of the many reasons people don't advocate taking this route.

If you can improve your LSAT, you should use that to wait a cycle and reapply for GULC (if you're dead-set on limiting your options) regular decision in order to get some money.

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:02 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Georgetown explicitly states that you won't receive any scholarships if you're accepted ED, which is one of the many reasons people don't advocate taking this route.

If you can improve your LSAT, you should use that to wait a cycle and reapply for GULC (if you're dead-set on limiting your options) regular decision in order to get some money.
Hey, thanks for the reply! I am indeed set on limiting my options :D and don't want to wait another cycle.

It's not quite true that GULC doesn't give scholarships to ED applicants. What they say is do NOT apply if you NEED scholarship. Ie. don't be the person that can't afford to go but applies ED and then tries to back out because they didn't get any/enough money.

What I want to know is would a late bump in my LSAT really do anything for me given my ED status? Anyone else have any insights?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:03 pm

Well, if they do give out money (and it's my impression that they don't), I don't see why they'd give you some based on a late LSAT score. You're already going to go there, so what's your negotiation stance?

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Well, if they do give out money (and it's my impression that they don't), I don't see why they'd give you some based on a late LSAT score. You're already going to go there, so what's your negotiation stance?
Yeah that's my head space exactly. I've got zero leverage as is. That said, since the $ is merit based, I wasn't sure if a higher score would do anything for me later on. I just didn't want to get rid of my prep materials and then hear that I really should have retaken it.

As for the $, you're right that they're not known for their ED generosity - or RD for that matter - :). I know for a fact that they do give out some money but it's certainly not like you're going full ride ED. The best I've heard was 60K, which I'd be happy to take if it's offered.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:05 pm

Bunbury wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Well, if they do give out money (and it's my impression that they don't), I don't see why they'd give you some based on a late LSAT score. You're already going to go there, so what's your negotiation stance?
Yeah that's my head space exactly. I've got zero leverage as is. That said, since the $ is merit based, I wasn't sure if a higher score would do anything for me later on. I just didn't want to get rid of my prep materials and then hear that I really should have retaken it.

As for the $, you're right that they're not known for their ED generosity - or RD for that matter - :). I know for a fact that they do give out some money but it's certainly not like you're going full ride ED. The best I've heard was 60K, which I'd be happy to take if it's offered.
Really unlikely they'd decide to give you an ED scholarship if they didn't initially. To them, you'll probably be like that good looking girl/guy you started dating in 9th grade who gets a lot hotter over the summer. They'll appreciate you getting hotter, but you're already committed to dating, so what's the incentive to springing for those big money gifts/dates when you get together again in the fall for homecoming? It's not like you can point to the really attractive other people you could be dating, cause in this case you signed a binding contract to date them.

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:24 pm

UVA2B wrote: Really unlikely they'd decide to give you an ED scholarship if they didn't initially. To them, you'll probably be like that good looking girl/guy you started dating in 9th grade who gets a lot hotter over the summer. They'll appreciate you getting hotter, but you're already committed to dating, so what's the incentive to springing for those big money gifts/dates when you get together again in the fall for homecoming? It's not like you can point to the really attractive other people you could be dating, cause in this case you signed a binding contract to date them.
This made me laugh :) Too funny. Looks like I'll be throwing out the LSAT materials - finally!

They haven't said no to me for merit aid yet so we'll see. I just got their scholarship feeler email and wrote back. I'm not holding my breath but definitely have my fingers crossed.

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:42 pm

I don't really think it's worth the time and money to take the LSAT again given that you're already ED. If they sent out the scholarship feeler email on Friday and you responded to it, you should give it a few weeks and see what they come back with. When I responded to the first round of scholarship feeler emails back in January, it took roughly 4 weeks before I received my scholarship award.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:36 pm

Just going on the record saying that the logic games section is the easiest to improve on, and you're potentially costing yourself tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars because you "have" to go this year instead of retaking and reapplying.

It would be worth retaking in June so you have the option of reapplying if your score is a point or two better. It could be big money.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:32 pm

armc808 wrote:I don't really think it's worth the time and money to take the LSAT again given that you're already ED. If they sent out the scholarship feeler email on Friday and you responded to it, you should give it a few weeks and see what they come back with. When I responded to the first round of scholarship feeler emails back in January, it took roughly 4 weeks before I received my scholarship award.
You're totally right. I'll hang tight. I was so late to the game (took the Feb LSAT) that I guess I wasn't sure what to expect on timing. We'll see :)
Dcc617 wrote:Just going on the record saying that the logic games section is the easiest to improve on, and you're potentially costing yourself tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars because you "have" to go this year instead of retaking and reapplying.

It would be worth retaking in June so you have the option of reapplying if your score is a point or two better. It could be big money.
I would in a heart beat if I was a little younger and think it's a smart move for most :). However, I've been out of school for a while and I gave up my career for this shift. Getting more scholarship isn't a game changer for me. GULC beats out most of the better ranked schools in terms of the work I'm interested in doing, which builds on my professional background. It's also in the city where I grew up/ want to be/my family is, and I want to settle down.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:33 pm

Bunbury wrote:
armc808 wrote:I don't really think it's worth the time and money to take the LSAT again given that you're already ED. If they sent out the scholarship feeler email on Friday and you responded to it, you should give it a few weeks and see what they come back with. When I responded to the first round of scholarship feeler emails back in January, it took roughly 4 weeks before I received my scholarship award.
You're totally right. I'll hang tight. I was so late to the game (took the Feb LSAT) that I guess I wasn't sure what to expect on timing. We'll see :)
Dcc617 wrote:Just going on the record saying that the logic games section is the easiest to improve on, and you're potentially costing yourself tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars because you "have" to go this year instead of retaking and reapplying.

I would in a heart beat if I was a little younger and think it's a smart move for most :). However, I've been out of school for a while and I gave up my career for this shift. Getting more scholarship isn't a game changer for me. GULC beats out most of the better ranked schools in terms of the work I'm interested in doing, which builds on my professional background. It's also in the city where I grew up/ want to be/my family is, and I want to settle down.
I mean, if you're rich then why ask about scholarships at all? But I waited to go until my mid to late twenties and a substantial portion of my class is early thirties to and late twenties.

It's your money and your life. But sticker debt is no joke, and in your case almost certainly avoidable.

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:18 pm

Dcc617 wrote:
Bunbury wrote:

I mean, if you're rich then why ask about scholarships at all? But I waited to go until my mid to late twenties and a substantial portion of my class is early thirties to and late twenties.

It's your money and your life. But sticker debt is no joke, and in your case almost certainly avoidable.
Totally fair :) If only I were rich enough that another $20K felt like no big deal. I've got a good plan in place that thankfully doesn't involve sticker debt. If retaking the LSAT helped me out a bit, I'm all for it. Delaying another year really isn't an option for numerous reasons outside of, "I don't want to." Either way, lucky you for having already started.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:24 pm

I totally get being vague so as to not out yourself, but it's a bit frustrating when considering the amount of debt typically incurred by GULC at sticker for unstated goals that require being in DC long-term. I'm not openly chastising your decision, but seriously, this better be an epically good plan for this decision to make sense. Just saying.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:13 am

Bunbury wrote:Totally fair :) If only I were rich enough that another $20K felt like no big deal. I've got a good plan in place that thankfully doesn't involve sticker debt. If retaking the LSAT helped me out a bit, I'm all for it. Delaying another year really isn't an option for numerous reasons outside of, "I don't want to." Either way, lucky you for having already started.
See, this is my confusion. If you're not rich enough for $20k to feel insignificant, how on earth can you justify screwing yourself out of money at GULC (and/or better schools)?

Also, I have yet to encounter someone who can articulate a legitimate reason for not being able to delay starting law school. I'd be curious to see if you're the first one.

Bunbury

New

Post by Bunbury » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 am

What I wanted to know was whether I could throw out my LSAT books or if I needed to keep them a few more months, and I think I got the answer to that :) I feel comfortable with my decisions on the personal and financial front. Thanks for weighing in and good luck!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Financial Aid”