Needs-based Aid Available Off Of Wait List? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
JC2017

New

Needs-based Aid Available Off Of Wait List?

Post by JC2017 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:09 am

If I am accepted off of a wait list will I still be eligible for needs-based aid (talking grants, not loans) or will I automatically have to pay full sticker? I've heard of people being accepted the day before classes start, so I'm assuming they wouldn't get aid. Is there a typical needs aid deadline in the summer?

cavalier1138

Re: Needs-based Aid Available Off Of Wait List?

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:15 pm

If you qualify for need-based aid, you'll likely qualify regardless of when you're accepted. But you generally aren't going to qualify for need-based aid at most schools (just a rule of thumb), so it's kind of a moot point.

JC2017

New

Post by JC2017 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:40 am

cavalier1138 wrote:If you qualify for need-based aid, you'll likely qualify regardless of when you're accepted. But you generally aren't going to qualify for need-based aid at most schools (just a rule of thumb), so it's kind of a moot point.
Oh? From what I've heard, some schools don't factor in parents' income if you're older than 29 (I'm 30), and I was unemployed for most of 2016 so I show very little income on my taxes for that year. What makes you say I generally won't qualify for needs-based aid?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:02 am

JC2017 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:If you qualify for need-based aid, you'll likely qualify regardless of when you're accepted. But you generally aren't going to qualify for need-based aid at most schools (just a rule of thumb), so it's kind of a moot point.
Oh? From what I've heard, some schools don't factor in parents' income if you're older than 29 (I'm 30), and I was unemployed for most of 2016 so I show very little income on my taxes for that year. What makes you say I generally won't qualify for needs-based aid?
not making money for one year isn't the type of thing that qualifies you for need based aid as far as I'm aware. Did you qualify for Pell grants in UG? do you have a lot of student loans?

JC2017

New

Post by JC2017 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:30 am

Aid for undergrad was determined 10+ years ago and factored in my parents, so no needs aid then. I also have paid off all my student loans. I'm really just trying to understand how they figure out needs aid. How can it be based on anything other than taxes and income? I imagine it has to be a standardized way of calculating, and what else is there to figure that out besides taxes? Maybe these are stupid questions, but the whole financial aid process remains a black box to me given that I'm older than the typical applicant and have a somewhat-unique income situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:18 pm

I was in almost your exact situation last year: trust me, they don't consider income.

Don't get me wrong, the T14 schools that mysteriously lump together need/merit aid clearly do take your financial situation into account, but pure need-based aid is a very rare thing. You almost certainly won't get it, just based on what you've posted here.

JC2017

New

Post by JC2017 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Thanks sir/madam Cavalier, that's more or less the response I was looking for (although I was hoping it was the opposite and the schools will give purely needs-based aid).

gwillygecko

Bronze

Post by gwillygecko » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:23 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I was in almost your exact situation last year: trust me, they don't consider income.

Don't get me wrong, the T14 schools that mysteriously lump together need/merit aid clearly do take your financial situation into account, but pure need-based aid is a very rare thing. You almost certainly won't get it, just based on what you've posted here.
what do they consider if you're 30+, besides income and assets?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:46 pm

gwillygecko wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:I was in almost your exact situation last year: trust me, they don't consider income.

what do they consider if you're 30+, besides income and assets?
No idea, but as someone mentioned earlier, I'm betting outstanding debt from undergrad might help.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”