Negotiating Scholarships Between Two Regionals Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
tinyvessels

Bronze

Negotiating Scholarships Between Two Regionals

Post by tinyvessels » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:00 am

Two schools that I received acceptance/scholarship offers from happen to be in the same city and are similarly ranked. My slightly more desired school has offered a no strings $40,000 per year scholarship. The second school has offered me $50,000 per year, which is a full tuition scholarship. However, in order to renew the $50,000/year scholarship for both my second and third years of law school would mean maintaining a 3.0 - which I'm not necessarily worried about for various reasons, especially after looking at the scholarship retention rate.

The first school made it clear from their website that the scholarship is non-negotiable, but I kind of want to try to send an email to see if they will bite. At worst they'll ignore me or say no, and at best I may get more money.

Here are my two questions however - Will I come across obnoxious given they clearly stated it was non-negotiable? I'm not looking to give a bad first impression before even potentially stepping foot on campus lol, and secondly, will the school even bother giving a look/attempting to match to my full tuition offer because it has strings attached?

Note: Sorry I can't give anymore detail than this...I want to try and maintain anonymity in terms of schools in case of adcoms being on this board, etc.

cavalier1138

Re: Negotiating Scholarships Between Two Regionals

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:34 am

tinyvessels wrote:Two schools that I received acceptance/scholarship offers from happen to be in the same city and are similarly ranked. My slightly more desired school has offered a no strings $40,000 per year scholarship. The second school has offered me $50,000 per year, which is a full tuition scholarship. However, in order to renew the $50,000/year scholarship for both my second and third years of law school would mean maintaining a 3.0 - which I'm not necessarily worried about for various reasons, especially after looking at the scholarship retention rate.

The first school made it clear from their website that the scholarship is non-negotiable, but I kind of want to try to send an email to see if they will bite. At worst they'll ignore me or say no, and at best I may get more money.

Here are my two questions however - Will I come across obnoxious given they clearly stated it was non-negotiable? I'm not looking to give a bad first impression before even potentially stepping foot on campus lol, and secondly, will the school even bother giving a look/attempting to match to my full tuition offer because it has strings attached?

Note: Sorry I can't give anymore detail than this...I want to try and maintain anonymity in terms of schools in case of adcoms being on this board, etc.
There are only so many schools in the same city that are similarly ranked. So I don't think you're being that sneaky, and I don't think that you need to worry about being "outed".

Schools always claim the offers are non-negotiable. Schools lie. Tell them you have an offer from elsewhere. And if a 3.0 doesn't merely indicate academic good standing, then ask them to drop the stipulation or go to the other school. Based on what you said about retention (and based on checking the 509s for these schools), I'm guessing it just indicates good standing, but be absolutely sure.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Re: Negotiating Scholarships Between Two Regionals

Post by tinyvessels » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:28 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:Two schools that I received acceptance/scholarship offers from happen to be in the same city and are similarly ranked. My slightly more desired school has offered a no strings $40,000 per year scholarship. The second school has offered me $50,000 per year, which is a full tuition scholarship. However, in order to renew the $50,000/year scholarship for both my second and third years of law school would mean maintaining a 3.0 - which I'm not necessarily worried about for various reasons, especially after looking at the scholarship retention rate.

There are only so many schools in the same city that are similarly ranked. So I don't think you're being that sneaky, and I don't think that you need to worry about being "outed".

Schools always claim the offers are non-negotiable. Schools lie. Tell them you have an offer from elsewhere. And if a 3.0 doesn't merely indicate academic good standing, then ask them to drop the stipulation or go to the other school. Based on what you said about retention (and based on checking the 509s for these schools), I'm guessing it just indicates good standing, but be absolutely sure.
LOL...Yeah, I'm just super paranoid and am playing it ultra safe, however irrational or unnecessary it seems haha.

I checked both 509s and, the retention rate was impressive, but I will definitely be calling each school's fin. aid office to get more detailed information about the scholarships, their caveats, and negotiating with my offers.

Thanks for the help!

Return to “Financial Aid”