removing topic Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
scully

New

removing topic

Post by scully » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:20 pm

delete
Last edited by scully on Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

floatie

Silver

Re: Negotiating Fordham Law Scholarship

Post by floatie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:24 am

Calculate the COA for some of the other schools - if COA even with lower scholarships is lower at the other schools, let Fordham know. If COA to Fordham is still lower than the other schools, then it could be a hard sell, unfortunately. Another option is to take your Fordham offer to try and bump up BU/GW, and use the new bumped numbers (if you get them) to increase Fordham.

bretby

Bronze

Post by bretby » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:32 pm

scully wrote:Does anyone have advice on negotiating with Fordham law (or even generally) for a scholarship increase? Fordham offered me $45,000/year, and tuition is currently $54,116 / year. I'm definitely happy about that number but I will still be leaving law school with approx $75,000 in loans for the tuition plus cost of living plus all those other annoying law school expenses (books, health insurance, suits, for crying out loud!) I an hoping to have a 2L summer associate position so it may not end up being so much but I don't want to bank on that so early on.

I'd be approaching with full rides from smaller schools in the area (Brooklyn, Cardozo, St. Johns) and fairly similar fin aid offerings from similar caliber schools (Boston University, $30,000 / year & GW, $35,000 / years), plus waitlist offers from 5 top 14 schools (Columbia, UPenn, UChicago, Duke, Michigan), which I assume are useless in negotiating terms.

Anyone have thoughts on the best hand to play here? If any? It feels strange to want to negotiate up to a full scholarship (I'll take 5K!) but I think I should try something.

Thanks!!
Unfortunately I think this will be hard to negotiate. Is there something about Fordham in particular that is appealing to you or some unqiue value-add you have to offer? You're not in a great position simply based on $$ so I would try to be creative.

ZVBXRPL

Silver

Post by ZVBXRPL » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:23 pm

scully wrote:Does anyone have advice on negotiating with Fordham law (or even generally) for a scholarship increase? Fordham offered me $45,000/year, and tuition is currently $54,116 / year. I'm definitely happy about that number but I will still be leaving law school with approx $75,000 in loans for the tuition plus cost of living plus all those other annoying law school expenses (books, health insurance, suits, for crying out loud!) I an hoping to have a 2L summer associate position so it may not end up being so much but I don't want to bank on that so early on.

I'd be approaching with full rides from smaller schools in the area (Brooklyn, Cardozo, St. Johns) and fairly similar fin aid offerings from similar caliber schools (Boston University, $30,000 / year & GW, $35,000 / years), plus waitlist offers from 5 top 14 schools (Columbia, UPenn, UChicago, Duke, Michigan), which I assume are useless in negotiating terms.

Anyone have thoughts on the best hand to play here? If any? It feels strange to want to negotiate up to a full scholarship (I'll take 5K!) but I think I should try something.

Thanks!!
Can u pm numbers?

chalala

New

Post by chalala » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:48 pm

Thanks!!
+1

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MooseMan

New

Post by MooseMan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:16 pm

I got the same offer (45k) from fordham, and was told that 45k was the highest merit scholarship they do (other than 3 full rides they give out). You can try, but you'll likely get a polite response telling you that you already have the max scholarship.

chalala

New

Post by chalala » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:27 pm

So I was offered $35k/year, which I'm of course very grateful for. I received full tuition offers from a number of lower-ranked NYC schools, and was accepted (but with no $) into a T14 outside of NYC. For various reasons related to career goals, my current situation, and finances, I would strongly prefer to stay in New York. I'm trying to get a sense of whether it's worth it to bring any of this information to Fordham in an attempt to increase my scholarship, and if so, which pieces would be most beneficial. Any thoughts?

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:23 pm

chalala wrote:So I was offered $35k/year, which I'm of course very grateful for. I received full tuition offers from a number of lower-ranked NYC schools, and was accepted (but with no $) into a T14 outside of NYC. For various reasons related to career goals, my current situation, and finances, I would strongly prefer to stay in New York. I'm trying to get a sense of whether it's worth it to bring any of this information to Fordham in an attempt to increase my scholarship, and if so, which pieces would be most beneficial. Any thoughts?

Fordham has less of an endowment than a lot of similarly ranked schools (a close family friend is a professor on the admin committee.) I received 75k and withdrew, but I know of a user on here who retook the lsat and got $135k . I think it depends how high your scores are, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”