Need Based Aid/CSS Deadlines Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
mrtux45

Bronze

Need Based Aid/CSS Deadlines

Post by mrtux45 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:12 am

Dropped the ball and now realizing that priority deadlines were Feb 15th at a lot of schools. I was waiting on merit aid and it slipped my mind between my job, life, etc.

Any chance this is a soft deadline, and what's the difference between "priority" and non priority for need based aid.. especially since schools aren't typically generous about it. My parents are textbook middle class, helped some with undergrad, but I do have UG loans and I'm expected to cover law school.

Would it make a difference for me to call fin aid office at schools tomorrow? Stressing about this and I'm not sure if I need to be.

Thanks TLS

brinicolec

Gold

Re: Need Based Aid/CSS Deadlines

Post by brinicolec » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:16 am

Most I've seen say it's the PRIORITY deadline so you can submit after that, but you'll just be getting some from whatever funds are left after they distribute to all those who submitted prior to the deadline (assuming that you qualify)...

mrtux45

Bronze

Post by mrtux45 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:20 am

Update for anyone who may be in the same boat: Feb 15th seems like a soft deadline! Don't stress but get the forms in ASAP

pleasesendhelp

Bronze

Post by pleasesendhelp » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:19 am

I filled out FAFSA, but I thought it was best to wait till after admittance to fill out CSS. I heard that some schools require you to provide parental information while others dont, but if you provide info for it regardless, the schools that dont will consider your parental info, thus less money.

is there a hard deadline??

brinicolec

Gold

Post by brinicolec » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:27 am

pleasesendhelp wrote:I filled out FAFSA, but I thought it was best to wait till after admittance to fill out CSS. I heard that some schools require you to provide parental information while others dont, but if you provide info for it regardless, the schools that dont will consider your parental info, thus less money.

is there a hard deadline??

I think this varies depending on the school. But again, I think most schools see it as deadline and then people after that are getting it on a rolling basis

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

needbasedlaw

New

Post by needbasedlaw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:31 pm

Here are some deadlines I've found so far (whether they are hard or soft, I'm not sure):

Berkeley: 3/2
Columbia: 3/1
Duke: 3/15
Georgetown: 3/8?
Harvard: None?
Penn: 3/1
Stanford: 3/15
UCLA: 3/2
Vanderbilt: 2/15 (soft)
Yale: 3/15

needbasedlaw

New

Post by needbasedlaw » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:38 pm

What is unclear to me is if all these deadlines I mentioned also are for the CSS profiles and if these are in fact hard deadlines even if you are still waiting for an admissions decision.

Does anyone know if there are schools that I listed above that DO have hard deadlines that require you to submit need-based aid forms before a possible decision?
Last edited by needbasedlaw on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earlskies

Bronze

Post by Earlskies » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:36 pm

needbasedlaw wrote:What is unclear to me is if all these deadlines I mentioned also are for the CSS profiles and if these are in fact hard deadlines even if you are still waiting for an admissions decision.

Does anyone know if there are schools that I listed above that DO have hard deadlines that require you to submit need-based aid forms before a possible decision?

Also, for some of these schools I need to include parental information and others I do not. It seems like the CSS profile lumps the requirements of your schools together and by submitting my CSS profile for Georgetown/Penn/Columbia/Duke would mean reporting parental information to a school like UCLA/Vandy. Is there a way to avoid this? Can I submit multiple CSS Profiles?
Does anyone know anything about this? I have the same question.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:51 pm

Do some schools not do CSS? I was looking around the financial aid websites for need-based CSS information like LSAC said to do and found nothing on my top choice. Is this normal? My family is middle class so I don't even know if I would qualify.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

needbasedlaw

New

Post by needbasedlaw » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:09 pm

jstans wrote:Do some schools not do CSS? I was looking around the financial aid websites for need-based CSS information like LSAC said to do and found nothing on my top choice. Is this normal? My family is middle class so I don't even know if I would qualify.
Yah, I don't think Harvard or Yale have CSS but have their own versions of forms you submit after acceptance. UCLA also doesn't I don't think.

jstans

Bronze

Post by jstans » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:21 pm

needbasedlaw wrote:
jstans wrote:Do some schools not do CSS? I was looking around the financial aid websites for need-based CSS information like LSAC said to do and found nothing on my top choice. Is this normal? My family is middle class so I don't even know if I would qualify.
Yah, I don't think Harvard or Yale have CSS but have their own versions of forms you submit after acceptance. UCLA also doesn't I don't think.
Gotcha. I've already gotten my finances lined up for the most part with merit offers, stafford, etc. but CSS totally slipped my mind. At this point I don't even know if it's worth pursuing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”