Use this to my advantage? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Mr. Freeze

New

Use this to my advantage?

Post by Mr. Freeze » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:45 pm

My LSAT is higher than the schools 75 percentile. Looking at LSN my $$$ offer is lower than some people with worse numbers (who are also non-urm.) How should I go about negotiating for more?

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Re: Use this to my advantage?

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:54 pm

but what about your gpa?

Also, you'll need some sort of bargaining chip - just saying 'you gave more money to someone with worse stats' is not a bargaining chip.
Last edited by Future Ex-Engineer on Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:33 pm

To negotiate, you need an offer from a peer that compels the school to offer more. You can't just go to the school with, "but my LSAT is above your 75th %, where's the love?!"

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:53 am

Mr. Freeze wrote:My LSAT is higher than the schools 75 percentile. Looking at LSN my $$$ offer is lower than some people with worse numbers (who are also non-urm.) How should I go about negotiating for more?
Show them better offers from better/peer schools

Redfactor

Bronze

Post by Redfactor » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:41 am

These replies are silly.

Yeah you can use other scholarship awards and that may expedite the process, but you can still negotiate even without another offer.

You have the ultimate bargaining chip -- not paying the school a penny by not matriculating.

Admissions is a business. As long as you don't come off as entitled or dislikable, there is nothing wrong with approaching a school and saying your numbers warrant a higher award. If the school is giving you a bad deal then that's what it is. Either make them give you something you can agree to or as the kids these days say 'take your talents to' another law school.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:03 am

Redfactor wrote:These replies are silly.

Yeah you can use other scholarship awards and that may expedite the process, but you can still negotiate even without another offer.

You have the ultimate bargaining chip -- not paying the school a penny by not matriculating.

Admissions is a business. As long as you don't come off as entitled or dislikable, there is nothing wrong with approaching a school and saying your numbers warrant a higher award. If the school is giving you a bad deal then that's what it is. Either make them give you something you can agree to or as the kids these days say 'take your talents to' another law school.
surely you can try this, but you hardly have a chip to play. it might work, but i think it's much better if you have higher offers at better schools.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”