Full scholarship--do I need student loans? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
cherrygalore

Bronze

Full scholarship--do I need student loans?

Post by cherrygalore » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:32 pm

Hey y'all,

I have a question. So I was offered a full scholarship + a fairly significant stipend, but I would still need additional money for cost of living expenses. Do I take out small student loans for this? How would I go about doing so?

I'm totally clueless about all this since I am fortunate enough to never have dealt with student loans before. I appreciate any advice at all! Thanks!!

LawTweet

Bronze

Re: Full scholarship--do I need student loans?

Post by LawTweet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:34 pm

I believe you can take out federal loans for the difference between your scholarship and the full cost of attendance (which includes living expenses). If you want to borrow beyond the school's estimation for living expenses, you'd have to take a private loan.

cherrygalore

Bronze

Post by cherrygalore » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:37 pm

Thank you! For federal loans would I go through FAFSA or whatever whereas a private loan would be through my bank or something?
Last edited by cherrygalore on Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:38 pm

Yup, just fill out FAFSA. Don't need to input parental information iirc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”