USC Scholarship Offer: How hard should I negotiate? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
lawpotato

Bronze

USC Scholarship Offer: How hard should I negotiate?

Post by lawpotato » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:30 pm

USC is currently my top choice law school of everywhere I have been accepted. I have received acceptances at Vanderbilt, Notre Dame, UCI, and a bunch of other lower ranked schools that are not comparable. No scholarship info from Vanderbilt or Notre Dame yet. Still waiting to hear back from a few other schools. Currently waitlisted at UCLA. 162/3.6 AA. I have been offered a $35,000/year, no stipulation scholarship to USC which is a very generous offer in my opinion given my stats. However, because USC is so expensive I would like to ask them to increase their offer. How much more is reasonable to ask for given my situation and just in general? Does anyone have any experience negotiating with USC? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: USC Scholarship Offer: How hard should I negotiate?

Post by UVA2B » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:33 pm

In order to negotiate, you'll need a comparable or better scholarship from one of their peers. Otherwise you have zero leverage and they'd just shrug off your request for more money. What other scholarships do you currently have? If nothing that will be competitive, then I'm not sure you really have any negotiating to do.

Nuhopeful2017

New

Post by Nuhopeful2017 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:00 am

UVA2B wrote:In order to negotiate, you'll need a comparable or better scholarship from one of their peers. Otherwise you have zero leverage and they'd just shrug off your request for more money. What other scholarships do you currently have? If nothing that will be competitive, then I'm not sure you really have any negotiating to do.
Not OP but I also have a 35k scholly offer from USC with a 3.42 gpa/172 lsat. I also have a 20k per year dean's merit scholly from UCLA and a 50k scholly from WUSTL. Which do you think would be more effective in getting USC to budge?

WUSTL is a peer school by rankings but its placement and lay prestige lag USC by a bit while the UCLA scholly makes tuition between the schools roughly comparable (UCLA would be 5k more my first year as an out of state student and then roughly the same at 25k for the last two years).

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:11 am

Nuhopeful2017 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:In order to negotiate, you'll need a comparable or better scholarship from one of their peers. Otherwise you have zero leverage and they'd just shrug off your request for more money. What other scholarships do you currently have? If nothing that will be competitive, then I'm not sure you really have any negotiating to do.
Not OP but I also have a 35k scholly offer from USC with a 3.42 gpa/172 lsat. I also have a 20k per year dean's merit scholly from UCLA and a 50k scholly from WUSTL. Which do you think would be more effective in getting USC to budge?

WUSTL is a peer school by rankings but its placement and lay prestige lag USC by a bit while the UCLA scholly makes tuition between the schools roughly comparable (UCLA would be 5k more my first year as an out of state student and then roughly the same at 25k for the last two years).
just put them both on the table. the worst thing is they're going to say no.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”