Do I ask to match scholarship or ask for better offer? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
MrFreshPrince95

New

Do I ask to match scholarship or ask for better offer?

Post by MrFreshPrince95 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:57 am

School A offered me 90k and school B (preferred school) offered me 30k.. when negotiating scholarships, do I basically show comparable schools offers (schools C, D, E...) and ask for school B to match school A's, or do I just say can I ask for a better offer. Also, can I say if school B were to match school A's offer, I would attend school B? or is that not advisable?

cavalier1138

Re: Do I ask to match scholarship or ask for better offer?

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:36 am

Depends on which schools they are. I'm also confused about where schools C, D, and E come in here. Are those actually other schools where you have offers?

You can tell B that matching A's offer would make you attend, but if A and B aren't in the same tier, then B is less likely to match, regardless of any ultimatums. I'd give you more specific advice, but without knowing the schools in question, it's hard to give anything concrete.

MrFreshPrince95

New

Post by MrFreshPrince95 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:46 am

B is Loyola Chicago, A is Chicago Kent. CDE are like random schools that arent exactly on the same level but offered the same range of money. theyd only really accept kent's legitmacy, but im just throwing CDE just as backup i guess? lol

I just wanna no if i ask loyola to match or make a competitve offer... or does it even matter?
cavalier1138 wrote:Depends on which schools they are. I'm also confused about where schools C, D, and E come in here. Are those actually other schools where you have offers?

You can tell B that matching A's offer would make you attend, but if A and B aren't in the same tier, then B is less likely to match, regardless of any ultimatums. I'd give you more specific advice, but without knowing the schools in question, it's hard to give anything concrete.

MKC

Diamond

Post by MKC » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:22 pm

You have a 51% chance of working as a lawyer after graduating from either of these schools. You should not attend either without a least a full ride, and probably not even then unless you have a relative or something that has promised you a job in three years.

https://www.lstreports.com/state/IL/
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:26 pm

In addition to the above advice (do not go to these schools without a full ride), I think you can probably try and use Kent to push Loyola up. I don't think it'll be that successful, and it sounds like your best option now would be to retake and reapply next cycle.

If schools C, D, and E are worse than Loyola and Kent, then they are scams, so their offers are worthless in any context.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

saf18hornet

Bronze

Post by saf18hornet » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:50 pm

MrFreshPrince95 wrote:School A offered me 90k and school B (preferred school) offered me 30k.. when negotiating scholarships, do I basically show comparable schools offers (schools C, D, E...) and ask for school B to match school A's, or do I just say can I ask for a better offer. Also, can I say if school B were to match school A's offer, I would attend school B? or is that not advisable?
The schools you listed are similarly ranked, and in the same market. You can tell Loyola straight up that Kent offered you 90K, would they be willing to match it? These two schools admissions definitely talk to each other. Loyola may call Kent to confirm the amount in your email, or if you were even accepted.

Now, do not tell Loyola that if they match it, it will make them your #1 choice (unless its actually true.) If you use that tactic, then don't go circular and ask Kent to go up to 150K to beat out Loyola.

Best of Luck!

rzzza

New

Post by rzzza » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 pm

These are the same 2 schools I'm applying to. My LSAT score is about 1 pt higher than both these school's median. Kent offered me 75K, Loyola offered 78k.

I'm surprised the discrepancy between offers was so wide for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”