Question about scholarships and Feb LSAT Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
pyramidenergy888

New

Question about scholarships and Feb LSAT

Post by pyramidenergy888 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:14 pm

Took LSAT in Dec then applied in January. I retook in Feb and expect to make an improvement. I'm hoping to get updated scholarship offers from schools and then reply with counteroffers. How does it work with scholarships if you go on to improve on the LSAT? Do they just revise their offers automatically or do you have to ask? Thanks.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Question about scholarships and Feb LSAT

Post by UVA2B » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:57 pm

pyramidenergy888 wrote:Took LSAT in Dec then applied in January. I retook in Feb and expect to make an improvement. I'm hoping to get updated scholarship offers from schools and then reply with counteroffers. How does it work with scholarships if you go on to improve on the LSAT? Do they just revise their offers automatically or do you have to ask? Thanks.
You'll have to ask if you've already been accepted, but the traditional offer/counteroffer dynamic is not typically how these things go. You could approach with just the improved LSAT, and it might work. But even better for your leverage is to come with a better offer on the table. It's more like:

"Hey [dean of admissions], I would really love to attend school X, but I currently have an offer of $$ from [insert peer/competitor]. Financial concerns are important to me, and I don't think I could attend school X in these circumstances. Is there any way we could work to make the cost at school X more competitive?"

pyramidenergy888

New

Re: Question about scholarships and Feb LSAT

Post by pyramidenergy888 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:26 pm

UVA2B wrote:
pyramidenergy888 wrote:Took LSAT in Dec then applied in January. I retook in Feb and expect to make an improvement. I'm hoping to get updated scholarship offers from schools and then reply with counteroffers. How does it work with scholarships if you go on to improve on the LSAT? Do they just revise their offers automatically or do you have to ask? Thanks.
You'll have to ask if you've already been accepted, but the traditional offer/counteroffer dynamic is not typically how these things go. You could approach with just the improved LSAT, and it might work. But even better for your leverage is to come with a better offer on the table. It's more like:

"Hey [dean of admissions], I would really love to attend school X, but I currently have an offer of $$ from [insert peer/competitor]. Financial concerns are important to me, and I don't think I could attend school X in these circumstances. Is there any way we could work to make the cost at school X more competitive?"
OK cool, ty. Is it appropriate to ask for a certain amount of scholarships? Or should you just lay out all your relevant offers on the table and see what they come back with?

Return to “Financial Aid”