Parental Income Threshold for Need-Based Aid Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
cyclawps

Bronze

Parental Income Threshold for Need-Based Aid

Post by cyclawps » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:06 pm

I have to disclose parental financial information in applying for need-based aid. I am low-income and financially independent, and I won't be receiving any financial support from my parents for law school. Is there a general parental income/asset threshold at which it would 1) be either a waste of my time to apply for need-based aid, or 2) be detrimental to my merit-based aid chances? If anyone has any specific information on need-based aid from Berkeley, that'd be most helpful.

cavalier1138

Re: Parental Income Threshold for Need-Based Aid

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Need-based aid is a black box at almost every school. But the good news is that you probably won't qualify unless you're well below the poverty line.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:45 am

cavalier1138 wrote:Need-based aid is a black box at almost every school. But the good news is that you probably won't qualify unless you're well below the poverty line.
I just have a simple question. How are people able to tell others that they "probably" won't qualify if each school is a black box?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:31 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Need-based aid is a black box at almost every school. But the good news is that you probably won't qualify unless you're well below the poverty line.
I just have a simple question. How are people able to tell others that they "probably" won't qualify if each school is a black box?
Because schools are pretty transparent when it comes to need-based aid: no one gets it.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:40 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Because schools are pretty transparent when it comes to need-based aid: no one gets it.
I'm assuming your statement excludes HYS, correct? Or does it still apply? I assumed lower middle class would still get a decent amount from these schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:48 pm

TAD wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
I'm assuming your statement excludes HYS, correct? Or does it still apply? I assumed lower middle class would still get a decent amount from these schools?
It means don't listen to people on the internet and just apply.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
TAD wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
It means use your brain and don't assume that someone's including HYS (the only three schools in the nation that don't give merit aid) in the general description of how schools calculate need-based aid. Honestly, did you think that anyone was discussing HYS prior to it being raised as a separate question?

Now, to answer the question and not the idiotic "critique": HYS may grant need-based aid to "lower-middle class" families, but if you're using the term "middle class" in there, I doubt you'll get offered much, especially from Harvard. Check out the 509s from each of these schools to get an idea of how common significant aid is.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
TAD wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
It means use your brain and don't assume that someone's including HYS (the only three schools in the nation that don't give merit aid) in the general description of how schools calculate need-based aid. Honestly, did you think that anyone was discussing HYS prior to it being raised as a separate question?

Now, to answer the question and not the idiotic "critique": HYS may grant need-based aid to "lower-middle class" families, but if you're using the term "middle class" in there, I doubt you'll get offered much, especially from Harvard. Check out the 509s from each of these schools to get an idea of how common significant aid is.
No the problem is you are giving information based on assumptions. You don't know how the need aid works that's why you called it a black box. At the same time you assume that you know how it works. I feel that the way you express your view, you are discouraging him from applying. You may not be doing this on purpose but when I read it I get this feeling.

What he needs to do is call the schools financial aid offices and discuss how merit aid works with them. I do agree with checking the 509s.

Just be realistic and expect to not get much aid if any.
Last edited by Mr_Chukes on Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:19 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:I doubt you'll get offered much, especially from Harvard. Check out the 509s from each of these schools to get an idea of how common significant aid is.
Ah, damn. Okay cool, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”