I got an *almost* full scholarship. Any chance at COL $? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
circle.the.wagons

Bronze

I got an *almost* full scholarship. Any chance at COL $?

Post by circle.the.wagons » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Like the title says, i got an almost full scholarship to Cardozo. $52k/year, no stips. Tuition is 57k/year (which is insane). Dozo is still my safety school but i was not expecting this much money, so it is much more attractive than anticipated. Paying 5k/ year is not a big deal, but also have to consider COL in NYC. Would I have any shot at getting some more money or a living stipend out of them, or am i just gonna look like an ass?

runinthefront

Gold

Re: I got an *almost* full scholarship. Any chance at COL $?

Post by runinthefront » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:58 pm

As of 2016, 131 out of 927 students were on full-ride scholarships. However, only one student had more than a full ride. This is all according to the school's 509 report (easily accessible via Google search). At the very least, you should ask for a full scholarship: with ~14% having a full scholarship, you won't look like an ass for simply asking (and who cares if you did, any way?).

The odds of a living stipend seem to be very small, though.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:04 pm

Yea I actually did look that up today, I was just curious- but 14% does sound like a good amount.

How would I go about wording that email? It seems disingenuous to say that they didn't give me enough to consider going there, because they have and at the end of the day paying 15k for law school isn't bad at all, but at the same time i clearly don't want to leave anything on the table.

And also when should i actually go about doing this? Asap or wait a few weeks?

BL1554

New

Post by BL1554 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:15 am

circle.the.wagons wrote:Yea I actually did look that up today, I was just curious- but 14% does sound like a good amount.

How would I go about wording that email? It seems disingenuous to say that they didn't give me enough to consider going there, because they have and at the end of the day paying 15k for law school isn't bad at all, but at the same time i clearly don't want to leave anything on the table.

And also when should i actually go about doing this? Asap or wait a few weeks?
While not at Cardozo, I have started asking for more money from a few schools (similar rank) and have had success. Being honest about the generosity of the scholarship but the impending debt/COA seemed to help.

floatie

Silver

Post by floatie » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:46 am

I second trying to bump that up to a full. $15k in tuition plus three years COL would put you close to $100k in debt (assuming you're taking it all out in loans)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:29 am

Just try to negotiate. The worst they can say is no, the best they can say is that they're giving you more. Lots of people negotiate.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Mikey wrote:Just try to negotiate. The worst they can say is no, the best they can say is that they're giving you more. Lots of people negotiate.
I definitely intend to negotiate, just wasn't sure how i could do it without seeming greedy haha.

I got the acceptance on Friday, is there a time period thats considered politic before trying to negotiate? Waiting to here from BC and Fordham too so maybe I can use those for leverage if they are positive results.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:19 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:
Mikey wrote:Just try to negotiate. The worst they can say is no, the best they can say is that they're giving you more. Lots of people negotiate.
I definitely intend to negotiate, just wasn't sure how i could do it without seeming greedy haha.

I got the acceptance on Friday, is there a time period thats considered politic before trying to negotiate? Waiting to here from BC and Fordham too so maybe I can use those for leverage if they are positive results.
If Fordham gives you $ then I can see you using that as leverage for dozo. Idk about BC, so I won't comment on that. The only issue is that I see is if F takes too long, dozo could run out of money to give out, because that can happen. But I know dozo loves handing out money like candy so idk how that situation would play out.

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:52 pm

circle.the.wagons wrote:Like the title says, i got an almost full scholarship to Cardozo. $52k/year, no stips. Tuition is 57k/year (which is insane). Dozo is still my safety school but i was not expecting this much money, so it is much more attractive than anticipated. Paying 5k/ year is not a big deal, but also have to consider COL in NYC. Would I have any shot at getting some more money or a living stipend out of them, or am i just gonna look like an ass?
Does the $57K include fees (which can be several thousand a year --not to mention cost of books)?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ad34964n

Bronze

Post by ad34964n » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:19 pm

Check PM - hopefully that info is helpful re: living stipend. Also, I would definitely ask for full.

circle.the.wagons

Bronze

Post by circle.the.wagons » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:49 pm

snowball2 wrote:
circle.the.wagons wrote:Like the title says, i got an almost full scholarship to Cardozo. $52k/year, no stips. Tuition is 57k/year (which is insane). Dozo is still my safety school but i was not expecting this much money, so it is much more attractive than anticipated. Paying 5k/ year is not a big deal, but also have to consider COL in NYC. Would I have any shot at getting some more money or a living stipend out of them, or am i just gonna look like an ass?
Does the $57K include fees (which can be several thousand a year --not to mention cost of books)?
No, coa is 25k i think per year. I have some money in savings though so if it costs me 75k before savings i wouldn't be too upset.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”