Loan forgiveness Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
trooper10538

New

Loan forgiveness

Post by trooper10538 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:15 pm

I had student loans in the past that were forgiven because I've been in public service for 18 years (Texas State Trooper). Now if I take out additional loans for law school does the time start over, meaning would I have to do another 10 years in public service to be eligible for loan forgiveness again? Thanks

haus

Gold

Re: Loan forgiveness

Post by haus » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:00 pm

trooper10538 wrote:I had student loans in the past that were forgiven because I've been in public service for 18 years (Texas State Trooper). Now if I take out additional loans for law school does the time start over, meaning would I have to do another 10 years in public service to be eligible for loan forgiveness again? Thanks
Yes.

Assuming PSLF stays intact. If memory serves the requirement to be eligible for forgiveness is 120 monthly payments (for the specific loan be forgiven) while working on eligible public service job(s).

KunAgnis

Bronze

Post by KunAgnis » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:03 pm

And honestly, given that Obama had tried to eliminate loan forgiveness programs, I wouldn't be surprised if the program stay intact for 10 years. Best bet is to just negotiate scholarships with the law schools to preemptively reduce your loans going forward. This is a good idea even if the program stays around long enough.

trooper10538

New

Post by trooper10538 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks

studentloanplanner

New

Post by studentloanplanner » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:54 pm

trooper10538 wrote:I had student loans in the past that were forgiven because I've been in public service for 18 years (Texas State Trooper). Now if I take out additional loans for law school does the time start over, meaning would I have to do another 10 years in public service to be eligible for loan forgiveness again? Thanks
If I hadn't already enrolled in law school, I would not bet on any federal assistance in the form of PSLF. My guess is that they remove the PSLF language or alter it from the promissory note by 2019 if not earlier

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”