Heartbroken over USC Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
Macandcheese

New

Heartbroken over USC

Post by Macandcheese » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:36 am

So USC released scholarship notifications today. When I saw that I was only offered 30k (10k a year), I was heartbroken. I'm from Los Angeles (born and raised) and I want to go to USC so badly. I really want to end up working in L.A./the west coast and the fact that my family lives near by is a huge plus. I'm really trying to keep my total debt under/around 100k total (I would be living at home if I went to USC).

I am definitely going to try to negotiate with the offer WUSTL gave me (~135k total) but I don't know how serious USC competes with WUSTL since they are completely different markets and WUSTL is known to be very generous. I was waitlisted at UCLA so unfortunately there is no leverage there. I was also accepted into Georgetown but I'm not even considering there being a possibility for me to use as leverage because they are known to be stingy and my numbers aren't that great. I was wondering if there is any hope in getting USC to raise their scholarship offer by a considerable amount or if anyone had any encouraging words. 75th<<LSAT, GPA<<<25th, non urm.

KMart

Gold

Re: Heartbroken over USC

Post by KMart » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:49 am

the worst thing they're going to tell you when you negotiate is no. i wish you the best of luck!

Macandcheese

New

Post by Macandcheese » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:08 am

Thanks for the reply! That is true, don't really have much to lose. It's going to be hard stopping myself from sending out a negotiation email to them immediately but I think I should hear back from everywhere I applied to so I have a better picture of my situation before I try to negotiate.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:51 am

Macandcheese wrote:Thanks for the reply! That is true, don't really have much to lose. It's going to be hard stopping myself from sending out a negotiation email to them immediately but I think I should hear back from everywhere I applied to so I have a better picture of my situation before I try to negotiate.
Yes, it is certainly early and you might get a good bargaining chip down the road.

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Sorry to hear bro. I know you felt. I was hoping for more money as well. I will try to negotiate as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rwe13

New

Post by rwe13 » Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:19 pm

Sometimes USC really lowballs with their initial offer. Negotiations increased my offer by a lot a couple cycles ago. Good luck !

Macandcheese

New

Post by Macandcheese » Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:47 pm

Thanks guys, that really helps me feel a little better! I hope you luck in your cycle or, if you're already in law school, best of luck on your exams!

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 3:02 pm

rwe13 wrote:Sometimes USC really lowballs with their initial offer. Negotiations increased my offer by a lot a couple cycles ago. Good luck !
With other offers or just by asking for more?

rwe13

New

Post by rwe13 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:07 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
rwe13 wrote:Sometimes USC really lowballs with their initial offer. Negotiations increased my offer by a lot a couple cycles ago. Good luck !
Large bump because of another offer then a small bump as the deadline approached with no additional offers from other schools

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:11 pm

rwe13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
Large bump because of another offer then a small bump as the deadline approached with no additional offers from other schools
How did the small bump work out. Did you ask and they gave it to you afterwords?

rwe13

New

Post by rwe13 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Mr_Chukes wrote:
rwe13 wrote:
Mr_Chukes wrote:
How did the small bump work out. Did you ask and they gave it to you afterwords?
Naw, I just ghosted them till commitment day and they emailed me haha

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”