International citizens and merit aid? Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
BlueBirdFlies

New

International citizens and merit aid?

Post by BlueBirdFlies » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:02 pm

International citizen here with American GPA and LSAT. I met with a pre-law adviser here the other day, and she told me that internationals do not get merit aid at all, or institutional loans from HYS either. This really confused me, because not only do the school websites say that all internationals are eligible for merit based aid, HYS also states that internationals get institutional loans.

Does anybody know of international citizens with GPA and LSAT who got the big merit aid scholarships (Ruby, Hamilton etc)?

TAD

Bronze

Re: International citizens and merit aid?

Post by TAD » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:07 pm

BlueBirdFlies wrote:International citizen here with American GPA and LSAT. I met with a pre-law adviser here the other day, and she told me that internationals do not get merit aid at all, or institutional loans from HYS either. This really confused me, because not only do the school websites say that all internationals are eligible for merit based aid, HYS also states that internationals get institutional loans.

Does anybody know of international citizens with GPA and LSAT who got the big merit aid scholarships (Ruby, Hamilton etc)?
Don't listen to her. I'm Canadian and had an interview for Darrow and I know some other internationals that have been nominated for mordecai and Darrow scholarships as well. There was also a poster last year from Canada that actually attended Michigan on a Darrow. You're fine. Oh, and another Canadian TLSer attended Yale but received the Hamilton.

Baby Gaga

Bronze

Post by Baby Gaga » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:40 pm

BlueBirdFlies wrote:International citizen here with American GPA and LSAT. I met with a pre-law adviser here the other day, and she told me that internationals do not get merit aid at all, or institutional loans from HYS either. This really confused me, because not only do the school websites say that all internationals are eligible for merit based aid, HYS also states that internationals get institutional loans.

Your pre-law advisor is full of crap. I'm international and got nominated for Mordecai and Darrow, and got a good bit of merit aid from other places

Hand

Gold

Post by Hand » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Baby Gaga wrote:Your pre-law advisor is full of crap.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:54 pm

I would love to read a thread where the words "pre-law advisor" are followed by something resembling decent advice for applicants. Who are schools hiring for these jobs?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jnwa

Silver

Post by jnwa » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:16 pm

This is completely wrong. I'm a Canadian on a Darrow and got merit aid from other schools. I have Canadian friends at HYS who are receiving institutional aid. International students arent eligible for need aid so if you cant afford it and arent at HYS(who have institutional aid), then you have to get private loans.

radiosheep

New

Post by radiosheep » Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:01 am

Hey there- Just wanted to add another example and some info to help.

Also an international student who graduated from a US undergrad and just received the Hamilton. As internationals, I believe we can't apply for federal loans, but at least for Yale, Harvard, Stanford, and Columbia, we are still eligible for need-based institutional grants and third-party loans (though for loans we generally need US cosigners). Personally, I don't know anyone who's gotten the Ruby as an international, but I don't think I've ever been told that international students are not eligible.

If you are considering a career in public interest or government, the LRAP at these schools also cover third-party loans, assuming that you meet the LRAP eligibility requirements such as securing employment in a qualifying organization and sticking with the field for at least a few years.

Sorry for the confusion you had to go through with that awful pre-law advisor :(

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Financial Aid”