Parental Questions on FAFSA Forum

Discuss various money matters here. Loans (federal and private), scholarships, lottery winnings, or other school finance related information and queries.
waldorf

Gold

Parental Questions on FAFSA

Post by waldorf » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:49 am

Last edited by waldorf on Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Re: Parental Questions on FAFSA

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:20 am

FAFSA is (unless things have changed with this new CSS business) only for determining your eligibility for loans, not for need-based scholarships. So call and ask, but I don't think there's any reason or need to communicate the specifics of your situation on FAFSA.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:38 am

sjs12 wrote:I was filling out my FAFSA recently and I think it would be beneficial for me to answer the questions about parents, but there were no options for my situation that I saw?

My dad recently passed away and my mother abandoned the family when I was a toddler. There wasn't even an option for deceased, which surprised me. Should I call FAFSA and explain? I didn't want to leave it blank but there weren't any options other than to fill out their information - which I don't even have for my biological mother. FAFSA considers me an independent, but I've heard filling out these questions is beneficial in getting aid. Anyone have advice?
All law school applicants/students are considered independent so only your income matters. That's why there are no parental questions. You're only eligible for loans so you'll get no grants or need based aid.

Your situation is need based and will be relevant to the need based aid specific to each school

waldorf

Gold

Post by waldorf » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:05 am

Thanks guys! I was just confused because FAFSA said the questions were optional but recommended answering them for grad school applications, but there were no options other than to fill out their name and address. Thanks for the answers!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:33 am

sjs12 wrote:Thanks guys! I was just confused because FAFSA said the questions were optional but recommended answering them for grad school applications, but there were no options other than to fill out their name and address. Thanks for the answers!
No problem. Sorry for the loss of your father. I'm sure he was a great man.

I hope the need-based aid at specific schools can help you out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Financial Aid”